Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

oboe jazz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, May 1, 2004.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    have someone heard a jazz record from an oboe player?.....
    i have only heard some tunes by yusef lateef.
    that's all
    thanks

2. country_boy

country_boy

Apr 13, 2004
    Houghton, MI
    nope, but i have heard a cool jazz timpani solo on one of Sun Ra's tunes (A Call for All Demons). It's off the album Sun Song.

3. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    uhm.... that's cool... i'm gonna look for it....
    i'm looking for not common instruments.... i have already heard, all kind of clarinets and saxophones including the big ones, bassoons, english horns, etc... so a timpani would be really cool for my research.
    thanks

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Not really in straight ahead settings, but Paul McCandless (Paul Winter COnsort, Oregon) plays English horn and (I think)oboe as a lead and improvising instrument.

There are any number of large ensemble recordings that use an oboe, but only as part of a woodwind section. No solos.

5. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Bob Cooper springs to mind. There are a few others I think.

6. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I think Sun Ra's albums would be a good place to look - for instance, "Live In Paris at the 'GIBUS'" credits Marshall Allen with "Alto sax, Flute, Oboe, Piccolo" though I couldn't tell you which tracks. Just do a google search with "Sun Ra" and oboe and stuff will come up - I just found one that says that the album "When Angels Speak of Love" begins with oboe! (of course, take that with a grain of salt - the reviewer might not know what they're talking about! unfortunately I don't own the album...)

7. I'm not sure if anybody's heard of Jay diversa or not... I saw him playing at a coffee shop, apparently he used to be pretty big in TV soundtracks and such, he's a trumpet player....
    but anyway, when i saw him, his son played with the band on an electric trumpet... Basically a midi controller with a synth, but I'll tell ya, that guy wailed and improved in ways i've never heard before. He literally left me beggin for more at the end of their set! If you ever have the chance, check this guy out. And if anyone else has info on him, please send it my way, i've never been able to find any! Sad huh?
    Good luck with your project!

8. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Been listening to John Coltrane's "Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings," and there's some oboe on there, played by Garvin Bushell on a couple of versions of "India," plus he plays contrabassoon on couple of versions of "Spiritual". I'm not sure if he solos.

Hopefully you can find it at the library or something, 'cuz it's an expensive set! Actually, one set is available seperately on "The Other Village Vanguard Tapes" (LP only?) and another on "From the Original Master Tapes" (CD, 1985). But the complete set is great if you can find it!

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Eric Dolphy rocks the oboe. He also did great stuff with the bass clarinet.

10. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    uh, eric dolphy rocks the oboe???
    i have lots of dolphy's record(maybe 20 or 30 can't tell solo and guest)...and no sign of oboes.... just alto sax, clarinet, bass clarinet, flute and piccolo flute....

oh and thanks for the answers

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I believe he actually started on the oboe as a kid. I just assumed there were recordings out there since he can play one.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There's a really good British Tuba player called Oren Marshall who plays Jazz - he makes some fantastic sounds - huge bass notes, high solos, weird gurgling or singing noises etc. etc.

I've seen him play in a trio of Trumpet, Tuba and drums/percussion - which was pretty free improvisation with some electronics/sound modification - I've also heard him play funk bass lines - like Stevie Wonder synth bass - but completely acoustically!!