Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oboy, am I pissed off...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    So I was in a cd recording project a few moths back. We did about four or five rehearsals, then cut a few demos and finally one seven hour marathon session in which I recorded eleven basslines.

Well, I got a call today from the singer saying that the final mixdown was taking place and that I should come along. I did and apparently, I have been replaced on some of the tracks. Now, I don't mind someone else playing the lines if they're better or if they do something I can't, but the lines were freakin' remedial and they knew it. The guy who did the recordings barely looked me in the eye.

Also, considering how much work I put into it, you'd think they'd at least ask me to redo the track, or maybe to do something different when we were laying down the tracks.:rolleyes:

Did I make a big deal out of it? No, because there's still a baby in this now shallower bathwater, but man, does this suck. I just had to let it out.

Did I get paid for all the work I did?

Don't ask.:rolleyes:

2. So umm, did you get paid?

:D

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Oooohh...now ya gone and done it.

brad cook

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Did I miss out on something, is this Big Wheel??

5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Exactomundo.:)

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So what's up with the name change?

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

And its his second avatar!!!

Your not the wanted by the internet police or anything???

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And playing what looks like a Pedulla MVP/Buzz!

9. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    OK, I'll come clean publicly. I'd have done it earlier if I thought anyone cared.

The name "Big Wheel" was coined by the payroll clerk at my old job. The guy doesn't work there anymore and I, well, I got laid off.

I have since gotten a new job and the name BW kept reminding of my old one. Besides, it was a little awkward, not quite me, really.

I chose "Blackbird" as my new name because I love the song (of course) which was written by a bass player and covered by a bass player (Jaco)

I dunno, it just seems so much cooler than the old name.

And yes, that's a Pedulla Pentabuzz. I've had it for a couple years now, although I only play it once in a while. I'm getting more into fretless now, so I might pull that one back into action.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I like the name Blackbird. Prefer it actually.

So c'mon Will. Give up the info. Who was it? What's the recording? Was it who I think it was? Or was it someone else? Did you talk to the "artist" and get a reason? C'mon!

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Very secretive there Mr.Balckbird or should I call you Bigwheel or lets saymaybe Wil.

Im onto you mister!!!

I will get to the bottom of this!!!

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sorry about the bum deal, man. I can't comment on the name change though...

(What? Hategear has no comment?)

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I know how you feel, Big W...er...BlackBird. I've been in a similar situation. It wasn't pretty. I eventually left the band.

In your case, I'd be VERY curious, if I were you, to know who the decision maker was on the substitute and why you were not party to the decision to invite another bassist. In short, why in heck weren't you told? That's one. And two: what possible advantage accrued to the band to add another bassist?

I left the band in question because I am big on trust. I felt I could not be in band in which vital decisions were going on behind my back and I was not an equal partner in such decisions (unless I had knowingly joined the band as a meer sideman.)

In your case, you still feel the band offers something worth your while, but what guarantee do you have that there won't be more ugly surprises down the road just at some critical moment? For example: An up coming concert or tour, and at the last second, you discover that other bassist has the gig...not you?

As hard as it may seem to do, I'd have a frank and open discussion with your band mates about your misgivings and air the laundry so that your position is clear and their behavior is explained. And good luck. I hope your situation has a happier ending than mine did.

14. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thanks, Jason Old... I mean, Boplicity.:p

Truth is, there isn't really an "official" band, but I was the guy slated to do the recording. The other guy, I think, is an acquaintance of the guy who did the recording.

I enjoyed the experience of being in a recording situation and all. All I hoped for was that if something was wrong they'd give me a call. I know it's not unusual for this to happen in professional situations, but I would have appreciated the input so I could do better in the future.

One more thing: When I was doing the recordings, the guy said to me I was good in a studio setting. I nailed those lines in two takes a piece max with the occasional punch in here and there.

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

Keep us posted on anything else you find out.

Are you still getting payed for your time??