Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OBP-1 + passive tone, very nice.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Guys-

I switched out the NTMB-3 in my R-Bass (it is kind of a tone sucking machine if you aren't using Bart PU's) for an OBP-1 wired volume, volume, bass, treble, and passive tone. This is an excellent setup for jazz bass pickups. In my case, I'm using NJ4SE's. The OBP-1 really retains passive sound. The killer is being able to dial in the bridge pickup sound, fatten it up with the bass boost, and attentuate any nastiness with the passive roll off.

Anyway, just a FYI. I really like this setup.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, obp-1 plus passive tone is a great combo.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    DMW-

Are you preferring 500 or 250 volume pots? I'm thinking about switching to 500s now that I have the passive tone.

Thanks! W

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Them's big words from a double bass guy;) Timely, I'm just starting a project that might work real well for-thanks!
    I'd run 500 pots...let *all* that tone come thru man!

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Chef, one of my 500's crapped out so I used the 250's. It sounds great with plenty of high end. I'm not sure I would hear the difference either way. I consider myself a DB player but slabs are alot less scary to tinker around with!

Will

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey Will, what are the chances of getting a sound clip of your R bass with the new setup? :D

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I've got a tune I've been working on that I've done keys and drums for, it's just waiting for bass and maybe a guitar solo. I'll try to fire up the recording stuff this weekend and get something down for you Andy.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Generally, I prefer to use the 500K pots and have those highs available.

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I was gonna build my next project, a '51 P5, with a nordstrand MM5 at the neck and one of his new fat super singles at the bridge, and wire them both together into one volume and one tone pot ala Reverend 5L. Add a coil tap switch, and Big Fat Passive MoFo...
    But if the OPB-1 will keep that, and add some more solid tone shaping options, that's all good;)
    You guys think that would work well here?
    DMW, I was gonna run 500 pots..I too prefer to pass all the tone I can and have ability to roll it off...but generally I just do that with how my right hand fingers attack the string and run everything wide open all the time...

chef

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    The Dingwall I'm currently having built is having this same system...2 passive pickups, OBP-1, active bass and treble for gain and passive tone roll of for treble cut. Seldom do I ever wish to attenuate bass, but I often look to cut some treble.

I don't understand why more people don't use this system.

11. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    This sounds perfect for me -- I've got a Roscoe fretless 5 with a Bart pre and pickups. I'd love to be able to roll of the highs with a passive tone pot. Exactly how is this wired?

12. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    You da (wilby)MAN!

Thanks a lot. I just snagged a new in box OBP-1 off e-bay for $74 shipped! How can I go wrong?

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Wow, great score. It's a good deal even at $99 in my opinion...considering the Sadowsky pre is twice that...hope you like it.

14. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Hello guys,
    I'm a proud Modulus VJ with Bart PU and Aguilar OBP-1 owner.
    I've always been satisfactedwith the OBP-1 and I've never felt the lack of a bost/CUT eq apart from the high frequency.
    Sometimes I'd like to cut those frequencies when using a warmer/fatter sound and I hear that, despite the high frequency is completely flat, there're some more highs I'd like to cut.

Reading this thread, it seems like a passive tone control would do the job, but I've got some questions:

1)
    a)Don't I need an active/passive switch too?
    b)If not, is the bass totally passive when I put in flat position the Bass and Treble knob?

2)
    Is there any way to "bypass" the passive tone control? Maybe totally "opening" it?

3) [dumbest one]
    Would this mod allow you to make your bass PASSIVE?

Sorry for:
    - the bad english
    - the lack of knowledge of electric terms
    - the stupid questions :D

15. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Just wanted to point out that we supply all pots and knobs and prewire the assembly as much as possible.

Roger

16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    All said and done, either pre, aggie or sad, is a great deal, and sounds excellent. The difference, IMO, is a taste one, with the Aggie a little more vintage sounding, and the Sad a little more modern sounding. Either way, they both sound quite similar, and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in the same bass with the same pickups.

IME, you can't really go wrong with either.

17. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Also, don't your preamps come with the knobs? That's another little bonus. And besides, Roger's Knobs are the Bee's Knees. He's got the only stacked pot I like at all.

18. Do u have a dealer in Malaysia/Singapore/Thailand? It costs too much for shipping to be cost effective.

Are the preamps same as the ones that u install in your bassses?

19. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    One of the things I really like about TB: vendors hanging out and chiming in. I always learn something around here, which is part of what keeps me coming back. Thanks;)

chef

wilbyman-sweet avatar update.