Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OBP-1 Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 10, 2004.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I just got an OBP-1 from a a fellow TB'er and it is a different shape and size from the one I have in my fretless SSW 4'er.

The one that is in my SSW is about the size of a postage stamp and about 1cm thick... The one I just got from the TB'er is about dbl the length, but same thickness...

Other than size and shape, are there any tonal differences? I'm assuming one of them is older that the other... Anybody notice this as well?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the one you just got is the older one. Aguilar (last year or so) started producing them in the new size (which is same size as the obp-3).

I've tried them in both sizes, haven't heard any difference.

3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    To back up what Mr. Wilson said: I've read several articles regarding the new shape of the obp-1 and they have all said that there is no tone difference between the larger module version and the new smaller module version.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Integrated circuits have been shrinking. Most likely the newer ones are built from the same components in the new smaller package sizes.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Thanks guys, I was just wondering... better to check and be sure there wasn't going to a tonal diff before installation.

I just opened My 5'er (which has the OBP-3 in it) and yes the newer OBP-1 and OBP-3 look about the same size.