Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OBP-2 and with fedner pups, hum noise!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pacojastorius, Mar 3, 2006.

1. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    im getting hum and hiss when i turn up the treble on my new installed OBP-2 . im just using the fender usa pups that came with the bass.
    ive sent the bridge ground wire to the bottom of the stack treble/bass pot and connected all the other ground wires as fedner does.
    if i touch the strings i get no noise but if i put my hand away from the strings its very hissy
    anyone help??

2. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I get some hiss on the treble too--but I rarely boost the treble much, so it's not a big probale for me. I think some hiss is unavoidable when you boost treble more than about halfway, and I think standard single coils make it worse.

The buzz sounds like a grounding problem. Are you sure the bridge ground is good? I shielded the cavity on mine, but I have fender "vintage noiseless" pickups so hum is less of a problem. But it may be that the wire to the bridge isn't soldered right or isn't making contatc with the bridge

3. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    where should i solder the bridge wire? i have the stacked bass and treble pots for the aguilar, i followed the fender diagram and the bridge ground was connected to the bottom of the tone pot so i connected it to bottom of the bass and trebe stacked pot, maybe thats the problem.

4. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    also i just found out it seems to only hiss when the bridge pickup is turned on, theres no hum with just the nuck pickup solo'd

5. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Did you purchase the OBP-2 with the stacked bass and treble pot? If so where did you buy it? I’m looking to get one myself. All I see is the model with the separate tone controls.

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Goto "The Bass Place" website. They are in Phoenix AZ, and send an e-mail to Lee Miller. He will hook you up with what you are looking for.

7. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    I am reviving this because I am having a similar problem with an OBP-3. Overall this pre seems to have more ambient noise than my Artec. Whenever i touch the bass or treble stack without touching the strings I get a hum and usually a local radio station. The treble boost gets really hissy. I got it used off ebay it was prewired and all i had to do was wire ground, battery, and pickups. I really like the tone of the OBP-3 and i can deal with the hiss for live but i wouldn't want to record with it. I not sure if it is a grounding, pot, or preamp issue.