1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OBP-2 in MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by adammazza, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Hi,

I have a 99 MIM Fender Jazz fretless. I am in the process of putting in an OBP-2 preamp along with new pots for vol, blend, stacked EQ know and a bypass switch.

My question is, when others have use this configuration or a similar one, have they routed out some extra space in the control cavity? It seems like I may be able to get it all to fit it, but was thinking it may be a better idea to try and make some more room.

thanks

Adam

2. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    You shouldn't need to rout extra space in the control cavity. The OBP is very small. I didn't need any extra space when I put one in my MIM J-Bass. I did replace all of my pots with ones from Aguilar; they're smaller and have the same feel as the ones that come with the OBP.

3. I needed to route some space for the battery. I just couldn't fit it underneatth the pots I'm using (blend and stacked EQ)

Thanks

Adam

4. When I put the OBP-2 pre in my P-bass, I just used a wood chisel to remove enough wood for the battery. :eek:
    Obviously, if yours is a true older instrument, you would not want to do any modifications that might harm the value. Mine is a 'beater' that I've modified a couple times. FWIW I've since replaced the PU with a Nordstand and removed the preamp. I found the OBP-2 to be (as many on this forum have said) lacking in the mids, so I sold it and moved on.
    Good luck! :D