OBP-3 Distortion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basso Profoundo, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    I have a Mike Brown bass with Nordy Big Singles and an Aquilar OBP-3. Works great until I turn the bass past half to 3/4. I get this nasty high pitched distortion when I pluck a string.

Anybody?, the bass is super-deep and powerful anyway, so I don't see myself turning it up past the halfway point, but would like to get it fixed if there is something wrong.

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    When I read OBP-3 Distortion, I was thinking of the BOSS effect pedal :p :hyper:

It's possible that it's a grounding issue, or you should apply copperfoil on the inside of your pickup covers and the inside where your preamp is, that can fix it for you :)

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Are you sure that it's the preamp distorting and not your amp?

4. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    The only time it happens is with that particular bass when I turn the bass to 3/4 or higher.

5. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Are your batteries in the preamp shot?

Are you just overdriving the input stage? Can you use a buffered input or turn the gain on the amp down?

6. Basso Profoundo

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Nope, just put a new one in a couple weeks ago.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sounds like you're overdriving your amp.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021