Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OBP-3 Fried?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wyliee, Mar 17, 2005.

1. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I think my preamp may have just blown up. I was playing my Bee the other night and all of a sudden white noise and a loud pop came through the speakers. I turned everything off and reseated all the connections. Turned back on and got the same thing.

I checked the bass out and if I so much as touch the mid EQ knob or bass/treble knob I get scratching, pops, and noise. Replaced the batteries and tried different instrument cables. I even went direct to my mixing board and get the same results.

Here's the kicker: I can turn the volume all the way down on my bass and still get the same results.

The bass is less than six months old and have never been dropped, dipped, kicked, subjected to extreme temperatures or otherwise abused. I checked the control cavity and it is neat and tidy. Nothing to get in the pots. I have a real hard time imagining that two pots could die simultaneously.

So, doctors, has anyone encountered this before? Your prognosis, sirs??

2. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Uh-oh. I'm getting an OBP-3 very soon for one of my babies. I hope this doesn't happen... I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Sorry I don't have any answers or advice.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

preamps are pretty reliable. When they get about 10 years old then problems seem to arise. It sounds like you've isolated it to the bass. I would double check the batteries to make sure they're good. I would also double check the cords cause I've had mutiple cords go bad at the same time. Playing another bass/guitar through the amp and with the cords wouldn't hurt. You want to know for a fact it's the bass itself.

I assume the bass was new when you got it. Sounds like the bass should be under warranty. If so, if you jack with it, then you're probably on your own. If you got the bass locally, that would be my first stop. If not, I would contact whoever sold it to you and go from there. That's the obvious approach from the information you've provided.

4. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Swapping out the batteries was the first thing I did. I tried three different cables on two different rigs and tried out a different bass with the same three cables. Definitely coming from the bass.

I've been talking to Fred @ Bee. Gotta' give props to the man. He's looking at driving up to my place and swapping out the parts himself. (That's @4hrs each way from south of Portland, OR to outside of Tacoma, WA.) Now that is customer service!!!! Fred earns major starts in my book for this.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Sounds like the seller is definetly going to take care of it.

But what I was saying about the batteries is to check the replacements. I wouldn't get in the habit of assuming anything new is working properly. Somewhere down the road it will cost you some grief, time, and money. A meter will verify the output. Installing them in something else may or may not as the other item may not require what your preamp does to function properly.

6. How much you getting yours for? I'm tryin to get a price quoted... (Australia)