Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OBP-3 updates and reviews

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    So how do you guys like your OBP-3 preamps? Are you happy with them or do you wish you had something else? How do you have yours set up knob wise? I am thinking of putting mine in my Flea 5 with bassline MM pup. Currently running an NTMB. Thanks, Marc

2. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    ..interesting...gonna watch this thread.
    I'm thinking about getting the Bart pre for my Kingston.

Why the search for new pre?

3. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I like the Aggie sound overall...Just wondering about the switchable mids. Thinking about running straight into a power amp like this and I need a little flexibility on the mids.

4. debassed one

debassed one Guest

Jul 30, 2003
    san fran.,calif.
    howdy!! I'm new to tb, so if I make some mistakes, feelfreee to not tell me about them!!!joking!!!!
    I have the 3, in a micheal dolan custom 5 string I had build. I love the boost, and the low end. however, I find I must lower the volume to just barely on, when I switch fomn passive-non pre-amp mode to active , as 3 output is so hot. I am using emg soapbar pickup that has its own preamp internally, which could be why ,but manufacturer says should not have effect. I am having the 3, installed in a new bass, that has 2 pickups, barts., passive. so will see in a week or so if I have the same result. make sure you use two 9 volts(18 volt) wiring for full effect with this unit. also having it wired with a mid"s. 2 position frequency
    selector toggle switch, that the instructions tell is an option, is fantasic tone change while
    playing. Nice thing is how well built unit is, and
    does not chew battaries. could wish price was lower- but some times you get what you pay for.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I actually like the OBP-3 a lot with just one 9V battery. I've never had headroom problems at 9V.

It's a very good sounding preamp that comes in a ridiculously small package. I don't generally boost the highs much, but I do cut them occasionally. The mids I generally leave @ 400Hz and boost just a bit or leave them flat, and the bass boost is nice and thick.

6. GFOS

GFOS

Dec 27, 2002
    Athens, Alabama
    I put one in my Quantum 5 with EMGs a couple of weeks ago. So far I really dig it. For my tastes, it is a huge improvement over the the EMG BTC that was in there. Nice fat round bottom, mids with good clartiy but not honky sounding, and highs that won't puncture your eardrums. I have mine configured with stacked b/t, mid, blend, vol, with a switch in the cavity for 400hz and 800hz. I would like to get a push/pull 50K in for the mids, but haven't found one yet. I will agree that the output is amazingly hot at 18V. It will break up nicely if the volume is cranked all the way. I am going to try it at 9V at rehearsal tonight to see what happens.

7. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I'm trying to decide between the OBP-3 and the prewired Bart preamps. I like the idea of not having to solder anything. Anyone compared the Aguilar with a Bart 4.5, 4.6 or 4.7?

I'm also wondering if I could live without the midrange and go with a 2-band Bart preamp. That would save me a little money and allow me to use my normal Jazz bass plastic knobs (no stacked knobs).

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You'll still have to solder the pickup leads to the blend pot of the Bartolini preamp.

9. Chop

Chop

Dec 12, 1999
    I would second the positive things that FBB had to say about the OBP-3...and in my basses I actually have settings in about the same place to find my tone...and find myself doing the same with the demeter preamps as well.

With the Bart, I tend to drop the mids and highs a whisker to get a tone I like.

The two band Bartolini is great though as well. In my main gigging bass that is what I have. At shows, I tend to leave my amp set the same all the time and adjust the bass for dialing in. Occasionally I am aching to have the mid to adjust as well....but it really depends on the room.

10. Used the OPB-3 with some ultra jazzes in a five string warmoth I put together. It sounds really good, very clear and strong. Set flat there is no difference in volume between active and passive for me. I wired up for switchable mids as well, but find that I usually leave mids flat or boost the lower freq (400 I think). The bass control is my favorite, really thickens the sound up. I leave the treble flat or cut, its gonna plenty of bite without being obnoxious.

11. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I too replaced the EMG BTC pre with the OBP3 in my Q5 with EMG's. Fattened out the sound considerably. I have the mid switch too, and have found that 800hz cut scoups things out nicely, and 400hz is nice to boost slightly to thicken the mids. Treble rarely gets moved from center. I previously replaced a two band Bart on a Roscoe with the Ag two band...teremendous improvement. If your bass sounds thin to you, an Ag will open up the bottom end AND give the G and D strings more meat (my big complaint about Bart and EMG preamps).

BTW, the Ag web site has wiring diagrams for the OBP3...there are a LOT of different ways to wire this preamp, including a variable mid config.

12. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I have the OBP-3 in my new custom -- seen here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95150

It sounds amazing with the Basslines -- seriously, every tone I have ever wanted is available (and then some). All tones - even extreme ones - seem usable with this setup...

I have a problem though -- the bass and treble pots suck (the midrange is fine). I can't feel the detents at all. And they're 50k, so I'm not sure how to get better ones. Any suggestions? (sorry for the thread hijack...)

-Aram

13. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Aguilar has new pots that they sell for use with their preamps now. The old pots were horrendous. Maybe you could contact Aguilar, or an Aguilar dealer to see about getting some replacement pots. They should fit right in the old holes.

14. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks Carey -- so there are no problems with the new pots...I mean are the detents okay? I was going to order from Aguilar, but I wasn't sure if it would be an improvement -- I spoke with tech support and they denied that any of their pots were ever faulty...

-Aram

15. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    That's funny, when Scott Shiraki was working for them he told me he got all kinds of crap about those pots.
    I have used both the old ones and the new ones and there is a huge difference. You shouldn't have any problems with the new ones.

16. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Cool, I'll just get them from Aguilar then.

Yeah, whomever I spoke to said that they only got new pots because the 'size was wrong' or something to that effect...but fervently denied that anything was wrong previously. Maybe he was new.

Anyway, thanks again!

-AC

17. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, the pot shafts on the pots that came with the obp-3 were a different width from that that comes with the obp-1. They must have rectified that recently then.

18. bestbassgear

bestbassgear

Aug 2, 2003
    The old pots were larger (took up more real estate in the control cavity)and I found them to be a bit stiff.

The new ones are better, smoother and have a good center detente.

The new Aguilar guy seems pretty stand-up...probably just didn't have the earlier concerns vocalized to him.

19. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I put the obp-3 in my jazz deluxe. Huge improvement. This is a wonderful preamp.

20. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I just ordered one from Bestbassgear.com to go in my Deluxe USA Jazz. Thanks, Brian. It's going in with some DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. I'll report back with a review.