Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

obscure band: The Blood Brothers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slick519, Dec 16, 2003.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Every once in a while you come across a band that you really hate... and then love.

This band (the blood brothers) did it for me. At first the lead singers voice really got to me..... but then i opened up my head, and let it in my realm of acceptibility. After that happened, i noticed all of the great, subtle, melodies.

Anyone else really into these guys?

slicks

2. Burn, Piano Island, Burn probably got more buzz in the circles among which I traveled than any other record this year. However, I have yet to listen to a single note of it.

I hear a lot of Dillinger Escape Plan comparisons bandied about when talking about the Blood Brothers; are these at all accurate?

3. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i really wouldnt say that there are that many similarities between the two, from the works form both i have heard.

dilinger - very fast, technical and furious. great band, too.

BBrothers - again... fast, but they slow it down to have some serious melodies take place, and giving way to some pretty sweet polyphonic interludes

4. This would be Birthday Party for me. I hated them at first but now...Nick Cave is genius personified.

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've heard them compared more to early Refused than to DEP. Long before the "Shape of Punk..." era Refused, more along the lines of "Everlasting" and "Songs to fan the Flames..." Personally, I have had "Burn, Piano Island" for several months now, and haven't even listened to it, so I don't know. I do love some early Refused, though.

6. they're definitely good, but a little on the crazy side for me. although lately i've been listening to some real mellow stuff, sufjan stevens, the books etc.

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    my man loves them but i think they are quite mediocre.

Ambulance vs. ambulance is a great song though.

8. You hopeless hipster. I've been listening to Mission of Burma and Hüsker Dü.

9. Awesome.

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I'm not a huge fan of Blood Brothers.

Personally, for my crazy hardcore fix, I prefer An Albatross, The Locust and Melt Banana.

Maybe I'm hanging out with too many elitists, but Blood Brothers earn a "meh" from me. Though I suppose people feel the same way about them as I feel about the Dillinger Four. I think D4 (not to be confused with the New Zealand band) are incredible, but I've talked with a bunch of people who don't feel that they're anything new. Oh well.

11. that's not all, i've been drinking lots of PBR recently.

help me :(

12. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    PBR?

*BARF*

13. I bet you smoke Parliaments and bought Jay-Z's The Black Album, too, didn't you.

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the blood brothers played at the UW all campus party last year a few bands ahead of phat phunktion (band i am in), and after that 45 minutes of...whatever....i deemed them worst band ever.

just to make sure i wasn't being hasty, i listened to their cd online and watches some videos.

i wasn't being hasty.

15. It should be noted, of course, that Mr. Braatz is, in fact, a goddamn dirty hippie, and thus his opinions on the subject of hardcore should be taken with a small boulder of salt.

;)

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    dude, like, i am in no way a hippie, man, for sure.... ;)

jazz snob? perhaps.
    elitist? maybe.
    getting too old to desire listening to what sounds like a cat getting raped while guitars and drums are sent through a trash compactor? could be.

i shall now leave, and get back to listening to sifl n olly's songs from season one cd.

17. i don't smoke, and while i did download the black album i found it entirely unimpressive and will not be buying it. nice modernization of "99 Problems" though...

18. That's ice cold, baby.

19. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Im not sure if you are being sarcastic with the whole rap thing, but it is slowly getting better. Outkasts newest album 'speakerbox 3000 and the love below' is pretty damn good. Also, the roots, they are another great rap ensemble.

ughh... im such a hypocrit... i used to HATE rap with all of my soul.

slicks