Obscure Greats who died too soon.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by page, Mar 18, 2006.

1. We all know that musicians drop like flys at young ages. I was thinking about this the other day and realized that there are a whole bunch of great musicians that never get talked about. So lets avoid naming classics here ( Hendrix, Morrison, Burton,Allman etc...) and focus on the lesser known greats that died way tooo young.

I'll start with Paul Kossoff from Free. This guy could play his ass off. One of the more original blues rock guitarists of the 70s, listen to Fire and Ice and tell me his licks aren't tasteful and unique. Unfortunately he was a hard partier and died way too soon. IMO beats Eric Clapton with a broomstick when it comes to guitar. If you haven't looked into Free, I highly suggest. RIP

So , have at it, and please try to avoid the more famous mentions that we all know about.
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Tommy Bolin? Is he too famous? Solo and Deep Purple when Blackmore left.
    This is a tough one.
  3. Jeff Buckley died way too early imo
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Zachery Breaux (sp?), jazz guitarist.
  5. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Alan Wilson the guitarist and harp player of Canned Heat - what a monster on the harmonica.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Andy Wood - singer for Mother Love Bone.

7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Herbie Nichols....should be as well-known as Monk.

Jazz Bassists Jimmy Blanton & Jimmy Garrison.
    Rock bassists Gary Thain & Dee Murray.
    Jazz Guitarists Charlie Christian & Grant Green.
    Motown Drummer Benny Benjamin.
  8. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    randy delay-drummer on songs "keep your hands to yourself" and honeysuckle blue"

don rich-guitarist for buck owens and his buckaroos-master of the telecaster.

felix papalardi[sp]-bassist
    james jamerson
  9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Bon Scott, or is he too famous?
  10. cozy powell from rainbow.:crying:
    ty longley from great white.:crying:

R.I.P. YALL
  11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  12. I thought this thread was about obscure musicians.(?) Some of the names mentioned are far from "obscure".
  13. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Jeff Buckley and Berry Oakley.
  14. Whoa! He's dead? I'm gonna sound stupid , but I didn't know...
  15. ...I was thinking more along the lines of... Miss. Roxas-Buttenberger.... my grade 4 and 5 music teacher who passed away in a car accident when I was in grade 7. She was all of about 28! There's obscure for you, and she seemed pretty great to me at the time

16. Well , it doesn't have to be that obscure.....maybe I was too strict with the first post.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I thought I came up with a good one. If I had left the band name off, I doubt anyone around here would have known who he was. Heck, they probably still don't without doing some research.

18. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Maybe not obscure to the TB community, but no one around my town has heard of 'em:

Chuck Shuldiner, lead guitarist and vocalist from Death

Piggy, guitarist from Voivod

19. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Bryn Jones (aka Muslimgauze). Cut somewhere around 200 albums, some of which haven't come out yet (his label is still releasing new material). Died in 1999 of a rare blood disease at the age of 37.