Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Obscure Old Tube Amp Info Needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lonote, Mar 19, 2004.

1. I have a friend who has the opportunity to buy a big old tube bass amp. It is a 6550 powered monster that is at least the size and weight of an SVT. The brand name is "Eros" and he has been unable to find any information. My friend is no stranger to ancient rarities as he owns several 50's and 60's Danelectro and Kay amps as well as all kinds of oddities. His house looks like a 50's electrical repair shop because of all the strange crap he has! Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Greg

2. You'll need to post pics and/or a better description, numbers and types of all tubes, color, etc.

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Interesting find. The obvious question is "are there any other markings" and does EROS show up in them... It could be a model or a brand. There were a lot of amps from the postwar through 1960 that were made by garage operations. Many were taking advantage of the release of the tube patent for general use. As I understand the history: Prior to that time Bell Labs owned the patent, and anyone implementing the vacuum tube paid them on a royalty schedule. Funny part was that the people best qualified to take advantage were guys that worked for Bell, and other licensed users. I had a little "Sound Projects" guitar/harmonica amp that was a beaut of a tiny little tube circuit, and was made by a group that did just that. Bell Labs engineers with a thought of maybe getting into the amplification biz. I believe that they were based out of Chicago.

If the previous rambling doesn't apply to your amp, at least I managed to waste your time :bassist: :bassist:

Good luck getting info on that. I did a bit of Googling and found nothing.

Pete

4. I believe I've seen one, but nothing more than a Univox type early 70's variant.

5. Hey, I've got a little Sound Projects amp too, pretty good sound for a single 50L6 running at a whopping 3 or 4 watts.