1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Obscure original versions which were as good if not better than hit cover versions

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bobyoung53, Nov 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    "Here You Come Again" was written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil. Mann recorded a full production demo of the song but did not release it. After Brenda Lee turned it down, the song was recorded by B. J. Thomas but just remained an album track. Dolly Parton covered it for a huge country and pop crossover hit in 1977.

The Owl likes this.
  2. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Janis Joplin scored big with this song but here is the obscure original by Erma Franklin (nice bass line going here!). Erma was Aretha's older sister.

fretter, SteveCS and bobyoung53 like this.
  3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Funny, I always considered the Erma Franklin version as my reference when learning the song. You're right, the bass is a real blast to just let rip live. If you can only have one "pumping 16th note underbelly" tune, let it be this one...

bassdude51 and delta7fred like this.
  4. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    It must be a UK thing because that is the version I think of when that song is mentioned. It was maybe a bigger hit here than in the USA.

LBS-bass, SteveCS and bobyoung53 like this.
  5. Yes, I never heard the song until Janice Joplin covered it, nothing against white artists but they've been doing that here since the 50's, was actually that the white stations didn't play that stuff although they were by 1967-68 when Erma's version was released, just wasn't a big hit that I heard although I think it's better (different).

delta7fred and SteveCS like this.
  6. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & RVA
    A great song can work in different genres. Faith Hill had a country hit in 1994:

fretter and Holdsg like this.
  7. NO-O-O-O-O-O-O!!!!!!

fretter and bassdude51 like this.
  8. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    to each his own (taste, that is)

fretter likes this.
  9. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I made it to 0:32. Proof that you can keep a good song down.

Hambone70, delta7fred and bassdude51 like this.
  10. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    It just sounds wrong to me, but a lot of country does!

Hambone70 and SteveCS like this.
  11. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Aretha Franklin made this her signature song perhaps but the original is actually better. Otis Redding was THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!

RESPECT (live version 1967 Monterrey Pop Festival Donald Duck Dunn on bass!!!!!! another MAN!!!!!!!!)

b/o 402 and oldrocker like this.
  12. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    The same in my area. There are lots of original songs in this thread that never got played on the radio in Johnstown, PA.

13. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Blue Bayou
    Orbison>Rondstat

14. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    "I'm So Glad" was written and originally recorded by Skip James in 1931. Cream reworked the song and covered it on their debut Fresh Cream album in 1966. The Maze with Rod Evans and Ian Paice covered it in 1967 using the Cream arrangement. They recommended that their new group, Deep Purple, record it for their first album Shades Of Deep Purple in 1968 also using the Cream arrangement.

fretter likes this.
  15. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    "I Need a Lover" was originally done by Johnny Cougar (John Mellencamp) in 1978. The 45 version became a U.S. Top 40 hit. The album version was an FM rock radio staple. It was covered by Pat Benatar in 1979 and was a popular FM rock radio song.

Holdsg likes this.
  16. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Although it looks and sounds sacrilegious, if one didn't know the earlier versions, it's quite good. This version also sounds healthier for the vocal cords. Janis sacrificed hers for an entire generation.

Holdsg likes this.
  17. I also like it.

18. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    The original version of "Always And Forever" was done by the R&B band Heatwave in 1976 and released as as single for a hit in 1977. It was covered by Luther Vandross in 1994, who also had a hit with it. I was covered by several other acts too.

Holdsg likes this.
  19. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Lotta Love....what's your favorite? Neil or Nicolette, or some other version?

20. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    I wasn't aware of this. I've got to say that substituting this with Wicked World in the US was the right choice, not only is the original much better than the Black Sabbath cover, Sabbath's version isn't even good.