1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Obscure original versions which were as good if not better than hit cover versions

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bobyoung53, Nov 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I may have already put this in but this was the version I always liked best and remembered, was a big underground FM favorite:

2. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    That is a different song with the same title. This is Evil Woman by Crow and was covered by Black Sabbath. :thumbsup:

bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. Haha! I guess I should have listened to it first, yeah this was a great tune, remember it well.

4. Then there was Evil Woman by The Doobie Brothers on their The Captain and Me album.

5. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    "Hard To Handle" was first done by Otis Redding and was released in 1968 as the B-side to "Amen" (shortly after the singer's sudden death in 1967). Redding's version reached #38 on the Billboard R&B charts and #51 on the pop charts.

Numerous covers of the song have been done; but, none were hits until The Black Crowes did it for a hit in 1990 reaching #1 on the Rock Chart #26 on the Hot 100 Chart. Two Black Crowes versions of the song exist: the original album version and the radio single remixed with an overdubbed brass section.

6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" was originally a top 20 R&B hit and made the Top 100 U.S. chart for Dee Dee Warwick in 1966. Madeline Bell's cover peaked at #26 on the U.S. Hot 100 in 1968. It was a big joint hit for The Temptations with Diana Ross & The Supremes in 168. The song was covered by many other acts in the 60s and 70s.

7. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I Can't Move No Mountains

Richland123 likes this.
  8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    "Always on My Mind" was originally recorded by B. J. Thomas in 1970. There are over 300 recorded releases of the song in versions by dozens of performers including Brenda Lee in 1972, Elvis Presley in 1972, Willie Nelson in 1982, and Pet Shop Boys in 1987 to name a few.

Holdsg likes this.
  9. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Released after the Hollies but written by him:

Released after the Yardbirds, but also written by him:

Flooflox likes this.
  10. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    wow, had no idea 2 huge hits for 2 diff bands.

fretter likes this.
  11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Here is Graham Gouldman covering another of his own songs that was first done by Herman's Hermits.

12. Dan Sheets

Dan Sheets Commercial User

Oct 23, 2018
    Hamilton, Canada

The world disagrees

Slade version - Billboard top 100 #98 / Album went Gold

Quiet Riot version - Billboard top 100 #5 / Album 6x platinum / #41 greatest hard rock song of all time

13. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Not only one hit per band...

In the waning days of the Yardbirds(with Page), they tried their hand at yet another G.G. tune, "You Stole My Love", but it didn't get past the backing track stage; Gouldman had already recorded it with his band The Mockingbirds...

If Page had played on that track as one of his many session gigs, I wouldn't be surprised, but I haven't found any documentation.

There were another couple of his tunes that were hits for Herman's Hermits...

And then Moz had a go years later with that last one(I guess it's a Manchester thing...)

Then there's Gouldman's long history with 10CC.

Richland123 and fretter like this.
  14. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    The song "Easy Street" was first recorded by the Edgar Winter Group for a minor hit in 1974 that did not chart very high. David Lee Roth covered it in 1985 for a #14 U.S. Rock chart hit.

The Owl likes this.
  15. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    "A Little Less Talk And A Lot More Action" was originally recorded by Hank Williams, Jr. for his 1992 Maverick album but was not released as a single. Toby Keith covered it in 1993 for a big U.S. Country chart hit.

Holdsg likes this.
  16. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Doesn’t mean the world has any taste; this band, who was only famous for who their ex-guitarist was, didn’t even want to do those Slade songs until their producer forced them to. At least they didn’t crap all over ‘Goodbye To Jane’.

17. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    I honestly don't like Slade's version, it lacks energy.

The Owl likes this.
  18. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    "It's My Party" was first recorded by The Chiffons in 1962 but not released as a single. Helen Shapiro covered it for her Helen in Nashville album in February 1963 but did not release it as a single either. Quincy Jones played it for Lesley Gore along with some other songs and it was decided she should record it in 1963. Gore's version became a huge hit in several countries. It was covered many other times including Dave Stewart with Barbara Gaskin for a big international hit in 1981.

The Owl likes this.
  19. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Shel Silverstein - A Boy Named Sue (he wrote it and recorded it before Johnny Cash had a big hit with the song)

Shel Silverstein - The Father Of A Boy Named Sue (Johnny Cash covered this song too)

MonetBass likes this.
  20. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I don't have any affiliation with this