Obscure stylists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tommytrousers, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Got to thinking about if people could recommend really quirky/individual style players whose technique shouldn't quite work with the musical genre they play but somehow does...

One example I can think of is pretty obscure but someone out there might have heard of 'em

There was a Dutch hardcore/punk band around in the late eighties called BGK, their best known record was "Nothing can go wrogn" that came out on Alternative Tentacles.
    Anyhoo underneath this really frenetic fast punk music the bass player played a fretless finger style and it smoked!

saw them live once and they were amazing...any other examples I should check out?
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    My favourite "obscure" bassist is Colin Hodgkinson - he's best known for his '70s bass/sax/drums jazz/rock trio Back Door. He was playing solo bass tunes (slap/tap/chords/melodies + some vocals) back in 1970! His influence can be seen in the electric bass playing of Stanley Clarke, Jonas Hellborg and Les Claypool.

He has an amazing and very unique playing style, but has done stints with the Jan Hammer Band, a year with Whitesnake :eek: , blues with Alexis Korner, and R&B with the Spencer Davis Group.

His work is sadly unknown to many.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Mick Karn of Japan plays some of the weirdest fretless stuff out there, but it all fits in with the music somehow.
  4. check out Larry Boothroyd of the Victim's Family...he is a smokin' cat!
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Steve DiGiorgio, technical death metal on a fretless. Amazing stuff.
  6. wow there's a blast from the past! played on the same bill as them in Prague in 1992!
    anyone into vituoso stylists MUST check this guy/band out, an incredible player... :bassist:
  7. I'll cast my votes for Percy Jones (Brand X, Tunnels) and Steuart Liebig (BLOC, Quartetto Stig). totally unique monsters!
  8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  9. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    + 1,000,000,000,000 :D
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Doug Rauch.
    Played with Santana, Billy Cobhan, Lenny White.
    Very cool finger funk player, way ahead of his time.
  11. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    He was also a pioneering double thumber.
  12. bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    How about Tim Bogert from Vanilla Fudge . He was practically playing lead bass with them starting on their first record in 67'.
  13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool: great player.
    Killer playing in band Catus.
  14. have you ever heard the Bec, Bogert, Appice stuff? big fun!!