Observation: New users.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jobu3, May 18, 2004.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Why do so many new users say something along the lines of "I've been lurking for a few months/years and finally decided to post" and the like in their first post? IIRC, it only took about five minutes to sign up. I can see: "I've been a member for a few years and finally decided to support..."

Is it a credibility thing? :confused:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    on a sidenote: Whats the gold supporting membership? How much more do you donate? Do you get anything in return?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe some people arent good with large groups ;)
  4. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Yes, they do it to increase their chances of being taken seriously (I would guess, generally).

The hurdle of signing up is not really relevant since many people only register when they want to say something- not just when they want to read something.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    there are a ton of usernames with a few posts that are years old, if you ever happen to look thru the member list. I need to renew my supporting soon. Just need top make sure my finances are in order first. It makes me feel good knowing that I am contributing to this great site.
  6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Unlimited attachment quota
    Unlimited PM quota
    Slightly larger avatar
    Larger Profile picture
    Larger TB Gallery quota
  7. I don't get it, what do you mean ...

I don't get your point is there a point? i justed wanted to read what was here until I started to figure it out. how do I change this dumas sig, anyway? An how does he other stuuf get fixed, i been here 9 munths i think im geeting some of it now but, i stillam struglingg
  8. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    To change your sig click the 'my talkbass' link near the top left of this page and then click 'edit signature' in the very top of the menu on the left.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey tmo! When did you change your name? I was looking for you on here the other night, and now I know why I couldn't find you.

10. Woocash

May 19, 2004
    Poland (Europe)
    Hi guys! I just want to introduce my self ;)
    I'm Woocash. I'm from Poland, and I play bassguitar;)
    I've noticed that this forum is a g place and I think that I'll hang around here.
    Keep on funkin...
    And I've juts singned up :smug:
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Welcome to Talkbass Woocash :)

Enjoy your stay.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it's mainly a confidence/ego thing, but other things as well - so, people may read and get a lot out of it - find out stuff they didn't know before and be quite happy - there are so many posts that somebody is bound to have asked the question before and we keep telling people to do a search!! ;)

But then you have to have the confidence to write something and think it's worth saying, as well as not worrying about your ego, if you get immediately trashed by experienced posters, pointing out the error of your ways!! :meh:

I liken it to large public meetings - now how many people are going to stand up and say something? Of course there are people you can't stop - but the vast majority are standing/sitting there, interested in what is happening and will be happy to applaud or catcall - but wouldn't dare open their mouths!!

That must be what it seems like to newcomers - so, very confident people, will plough straight in - as will stoopid people who have no concept of how they might embarassed - but most people are somehwere between and will be cautious and wary - taking their time to ensure they don't put their foot in ther mouth!! :rollno:
  13. Personally I think it´s good that people lurk for a while before they start posting, I always do that when I find an interesting forum. That way I get a feeling of the general atmosphere, find out what topics are frowned upon et.

Then there´s the fact that people are different. IMO communication on the Internet reflects our "real life" discussing habits: some people like to speak only when they think they have something relevant to say, others are more comfortable with small talk. Some people are more active in submitting new topics and starting discussions, while others like to look where things are going before participating.
  14. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, me too I have been just "lurking around" for the first month, i read posts to learn and to get some info that I couldnt get elsehow. Later, when I had questions, i registered. :p . After that, i still spent most of the time reading the posts and not writing (because i didnt know enough to say anything wise), so thats why the posts/day counter for me is so low... ;)
  15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Bruce hit the nail on its head
  16. I need 2 pickels, a packet of mustard, and a spork. Then all the problems will be solved.
  17. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    When I first joined I lurked for awhile.

I love writing, so it's only natural for me to want to post things. But mainly I just like to lurk around until I find a thread that is worth squashing until it's dead. :hyper:

18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Indecision '99, Josh?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually i think it is pretty normal, i know i watched the forums for a few months before i signed on.
  20. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    A whole year Josh?! I can see a month or two no problem... Just wondering what everyone thought. :cool: