1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Observation on playing with drummer(s)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DLKasim, Jun 6, 2012.

1. DLKasim

DLKasim

Oct 13, 2009
    The sound in my band's rehearsal space is pretty poor, since it is a furnished basement, and we need to fit the instruments in among the furniture. Due to our setup, the kick drum is almost inaudible; it is muffled by the furniture around the drum set. I recently discovered that I have subconsciously adapted to the lack of audible kick drum by focusing almost entirely on the snare (and to a lesser degree, toms) and use them as my reference point instead of the kick. Now, when my band plays live shows, having the kick be audible makes it even easier to lock in.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I used to play with a drummer that would play very softly, so he wasn't loud enough. So i had to play the regular bass and do something to fill his 'abscence'.
    That helped me to think faster musically and now when i play with a good drummer i can lock in easily.

3. If you move the furniture to accomodate for the gear then it would help a bit. I had the same issue and we changed everything around to fit the gear. During nice days we would open the doors and let the neighbors hear. We did get some pretty nice visitors. ;-)

4. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Nice to hear the focus in the snare gives you another view point of what the kit does in your perception of playing.
    I believe that sometimes the focus is on an item beat ( bass drum, snare, hi- hat etc ) blurs the real focus which is the combined rhythm and tempo of all.

In the same way that individual close mikes around a kit in a studio pick up the individual drums then someone mixed and blends them to their focus, two well placed mikes will pick up the whole rhythm rather than any individual focus.

I love this clip as it is pure rhythm section focus.....nothing else to confuse the mix.

5. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    of course playing in a basement/garage won't sound the same as playing live, so if you are getting used to the sound in your rehearsal space playing live will take a bit of time to get used to.

It also depends what kind of music you are playing, the problem doesn't necessarily have to deal with the kick... In jazz you wanna hear the hat and the ride more than the kick.

6. Swing has an emphasis on 2 and 4 aka the back beat.

How old are the skins? Just like strings they deaden over time.

Has you kit been properly tuned? Many different ways, but try tune the skin nearest drummer tighter than it is presently, and the one closet to audience looser. (DON'T try this if you've never tuned a drum before, get someone experienced to do it).

Try taking ALL the padding out of the kick drum and see if you can hear it a little better. Add a small amount at a time to reduce the sustain but retain the resonance of the drum.

Or add that fancy sticker to the kick drum skin where the kick drum beater hits it. Or add a little extra mass to the beater (around stem) or try a different shaped/ weight beater.