1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Observations on this bass for sale?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AGCurry, May 17, 2020.

1. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    In today's Craigslist;

VINTAGE 4/4 FULL SIZE BASS VIOLIN - musical instruments - by owner -...

Sorely tempted to go check it out - just 3 miles from me - but wanted to solicit any observations here.

It looks like a German shop bass with laminate top, but it seems that laminate 4/4 basses are pretty unusual. Ignorant seller?

Magnetic pickup, looks to be fairly ancient?!

Can't identify the strings. Ball end, red tailpiece silk, yellow pegbox end. ?

Odd dusty-looking patina to the finish on the top.

2. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Wilfer factory, mid 20th century, Schaller pickup, Spiro solos(?), likely 3/4 but the label will say 4/4.

Many of those German ply basses sound way better than an old Kay, have very nice big thick necks, & cost half the price....worth looking at!

3. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Take a tape measure and an inspection mirror with a flexible neck.

Winoman, james condino and AGCurry like this.
  4. jlmorgan84

jlmorgan84 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Clemson, SC
    I'd be willing to bet that bass is actually 3/4. I owned a German shop ply very similar to this one and was very happy with it.

Winoman, james condino and AGCurry like this.
  5. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    About that Schaller pickup: They still make them, although that one looks like it could be vintage (because of the funky looking plastic knob - IIRC the new ones are knurled metal). The "ears" sticking up on either side are supposed to be mounted to the end of the fingerboard. Nowadays most people just use Dual Lock velcro (does the job without modifying or drilling anything).

6. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    Gone to see this thing yet Curry? Social distance style or what have ya?

7. What James said, except that it’s a Hofner, not a Wilfer. The fake flame on the neck is the tell.

One of those, labeled Anton Schroetter, was my first double bass. Very solid, not a lot of acoustic projection, amplified very well. Nice bass for $1k.

The only way they really speak is with Spiro Starks.

james condino likes this.
  8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    AC,
    I be willing to bet that Jerry Cherry worked on that bass and had it in his shop. He mounted Schaller Pickups on the bass that way and the pencil lines on the center of the feet is also one of his techniques.

9. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Spiro solos, no?

10. Bar Star

Bar Star

Nov 4, 2018
    Ad removed...is it a NBD?

11. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I texted the seller yesterday and got the "Someone else is coming to see it, will let you know if I still have it."

Someone else bought it. Drat. The good news? I didn't buy a bass I don't need.

james condino and 210superair like this.
  12. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Who's Jerry Cherry (love that name)?

13. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    My second bass was an Anton Schroetter, back in '75, after my Kay got smashed. I owned it for the next 43 years. It had a skinny neck, didn't have the badge on the neck heel or the fake flame. Judging from the way that its top behaved, I wouldn't have dared putting starks on it.

14. As I recall, that label got thrown into instruments from several different factories.

AGCurry likes this.
  15. STL is the wild west - not just the gateway anymore! No traffic laws and people are just doing whatever they want!

unbrokenchain likes this.
  16. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    Sounds about right. In every of the five western-US tours I’ve done, with three different bands, we’ve always somehow ended up playing at Evangeline’s Bistro on the way out.. nobody’s favorite gig I suppose, but practically a standby. That’s literally the only part of STL I’m familiar with, though I am proud of myself for managing to park a full-size school bus in their lot by myself while everyone else was setting up.

Sorry bout the bass @AGCurry , but least it doesn’t seem like it would have been much a step up for ya. A solid deal for the price though.

james condino and AGCurry like this.
  17. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    We have plenty of laws... there are just no cops around! Exacerbated by the fact that you can go through three or four municipalities in the time it takes to listen to a song.

damonsmith likes this.
  18. Some of my favorite STL avant garde driving techniques are:
    1. Using the bike lane to go around a car stopped a red light to run said light
    2. U-turns wherever and whenever!

19. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Preferably while texting, and without using that silly turn signal thingy.

damonsmith likes this.
  20. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    I don't understand.

boylebass, MLysh, Joshua and 2 others like this.