1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Obsessive, Anal...and Strangely Satisfying

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soxhats, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Good move -- bass weight is good info.

42 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. Dude, get therapy.

65 vote(s)
    60.7%
  1. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I asked Santa for and he gave me a nice postal scale for weighing my basses. Bathroom-scale estimates weren't enough for me any longer; I wanted to know precise pounds and ounces. If you call this OCD-type behavior, I'd have a tough time disputing. Though I prefer to say I simply value accurate information.

So anyway, after all the family presents were opened, I weighed my basses. Was surprised to see my Music Man Classic Sterling, which I knew was light, is truly a feather -- 8.15 pounds. The Jerry Jones Longhorn and 60th Anniversary P were pretty much what I'd thought -- 5.91 and 8.61 respectively. My MIM PJ was heavier than expected -- 9.33. Not that 9.33 is hefty, but that bass just feels and plays like a sub-9-pounder. Which I suppose shows the large role that balance plays, not just pounds and ounces. I have a new bass arriving next week, and I'll weigh that too.

Has/does anyone else done/do this? Am I a mental defective destined for a life of cleaning doorknobs before I touch them? Or merely a numbers-lover who wants said numbers to be accurate (not just for myself but for prospective buyers when I sell a bass)? Hmmm...

2. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    If I had a scale I would be as anal. Some of my basses, I want to know how heavy they are, since my back is pretty sensitive.

Thanks for the info!

3. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Temple, TX
    I would really like to have one myself. I have sold many things that I had to estimate weight on, and probably overpaid postage several times so I wouldn't have to pay more when I drop them off, or have something kicked back.

4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I'm okay and so are you! I bought a digital postal scale years ago at Office Depot. It gets used for weighing large-mouth bass as well as electric basses. I am a bit compulsive about playing good-sounding, good-looking instruments and keeping them in good condition but have not developed any other obsessive-compulsive behaviors after purchasing it. One ramification - finding myself wishing that all sellers could offer accurate weight measurements of their instruments. My shoulders, along with the rest of me, are fifty-five years old and like instruments of reasonable weight. I don't even consider owning ten-plus pound instruments. The exception is my Mapleglo 4003. It feels so comfortable strapped on, I was quite surprised to find that it weighs an ounce over ten pounds. Okay, call me anal if you must, but I am ready for international buyers - my scale also reads out in grams... :bag:

5. I'm not too concerned with the exact weight of my instrument. "Comfortable" is good enough.

However, I think you should know that you shouldn't use the words "anal" and "strangely satisfying" in the same sentence....

6. so.... what if the bass weighs in at something you dont like? Gonna sell it?

I never understood why people always see what kind of gas mileage they get every fill-up. Whats the freakin point? It is what it is, like it or sell it

7. You're all a bunch of window lickers..

kidding... sort of.

Personally I'm not concerned if my bass weighs more or less than a police-raid worth of weed. My T-40 ranges somewhere around a bag of bricks, my Squier MB-5 much less, and my Foundation S feels like it's a part of me because I've had it so long..

As far as shipping goes, I've never gone wrong with my bathroom scale. I'm more concerned with the right amount of insurance so that when the package arrives looking like it was dragged behind the UPS truck through the grand canyon, it's going to be replaced.

8. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    The 4003 is supposed to weigh only 9 lbs. The weight difference often surprises me. I once played a 4003 which felt so light as if there were no gravity. I've held identical squier P-basses with different weight. I just picked them from the wall in a well sorted local music store. There was a clearly noticeable difference in weight. This also holds for the cheaper Ibanez GIO instruments.

9. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I stopped reading at anal..and strangely satisfying. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

10. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    Bought one of those Taylor luggage scales. You wrap it around the handle of luggage or bass neck and lift. Works well. :p

11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I have a digital food scale which does the trick....although I only really weigh them when I sell them (as people ask).....

12. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    Meh. I just haul it on the subway for an hour, play it on a two-hour-rehearsal, and haul it back on the subway for an hour. If it's too heavy for me, I'll know!

13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    please,...

do a comparison to the bathroom scale and post results! :hyper:

14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Just wait till you start weighing individual hardware pieces and swapping your SS screws for titanium ones! :p

15. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Bathroom scale weighs 4.18 lbs. on the postal scale.

Attached Files:

16. I don't own a bathroom scale, and bought a shipping scale basically out of necessity from office depot, as I was constantly asked the weight of guitars/basses and amps that I was selling,
    so I finally broke down and bought one (not as inexpensive as I thought they would be), so that I could let prospective buyers know weights.

It's turned out to be a worthwhile investment, because now I can ship faster via ebay when I just plug in package weight and dimensions, and allow me to avoid standing in line at the post office.

As far as knowing the weights of the basses or guitars that I personally play on a daily basis, that doesn't matter to me so much...yet. :cool:

17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i've had a very accurate digital scale for my basses for years. it weighs up to 40lbs with accuracy within 2 grams. as a builder, i like to know exactly what the weight of all of my builds are, as well as my bass purchases.

+1 to the advange of having one for shipping purposes. everytrime the post office or fedex compares my package weights, they're dead on so there are no upcharges.

18. soxhats

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Check out the For Sale section and how many sellers right now don't know their basses' weight. Just saying.

19. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I weigh mine at work, we use a digital scale for mixing paint.
    It measures to the nearest tenth of a gram.

Knowing the exact weight can be useful for insurance purposes since no two basses will have exactly the same distinguishing physical features and weight.
    Just more proof it's yours if you can pinpoint the weight exactly.

20. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Stangely satisfying anal? I think you should ask the masses on craigslist.