Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

obsurd basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Aug 29, 2001.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    i was just looking at some bass web sites and i found a 24 string bass! i mean who would play that!
    so yeah im posting this for yous to post ur pics of ubsurd basses, weather it be small/large bodies, extreme amont of strings or...whateva
    thanks!

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    not to nit-pick... but why would you spell absurd as "obsurd" and "ubsurd"?

I mean... I'm not trying to be an ass or anything... But I don't see what logic it follows to spell something two different ways... even if you didn't spell it properly in both your two chances...

Oh well...

I agree though, I don't think there'd be any use for a 24 string bass. It'd just be pointless, I bet it'd weigh a ton, and also, I doubt you could fit your hand around it, even if you have the largest hands...

3. OneLuvIbanez

OneLuvIbanez Guest

Jul 28, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, id like to know the URL for that bass web site, i have never seen anything like that in my life, and id love to see one, if you could post the url let me know.
    And also 24 is wierd, but i know a guy who has a 37 string, its the wierdest thing youll ever see, he made it himself, and the neck is like the size of my bodie, and im a big guy, the whole thing weights 58 lbs.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Talkbass, OneLuvIbanez...
    I'd sure as hell hope he sits down while he plays.
    I think it's just excessive to play a 24 or 37 string bass... Christ, I moan and groan about 5's. ;)

I think those 1 string basses are quite absurd though... Then again, I'd like to own one if they're cheap... And depending on which one string they have... I think it'd be cool to have if it has an A string on it... I think I play on the A most. :)

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i think all 7+ basses are absurd.

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i think its egocentric to think ANY ONE instrument is absurd.

if there is one person out there that can make music with it, then its existence is validated.

fred

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Good point.

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I agree.

Also, when can we get the link to those basses?

9. i'm guessing you haven't heard of bunnybass.com's amusing bass galery.

10. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas

ooh! ooh! I have! :D

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    cut with the chat and make with the pics!
    lol nah jk yeah some of them are a bit weird. but I WANNA SEE SOME PICS! PLEASE!
    lol

12. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Definitely check out http://www.bunnybass.com I especially like the toilet guitar. They just added some new ones, so go visit.

As for the number of strings, repeat after me: "A bass guitar has 4 strings. They are tuned EADG. They are played using the fingers, thumb, or a pick."

:p