OC-2 Clipping - Am I doing it wrong?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassgrackle, May 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. bassgrackle

bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    I hear guys producing awesome tones with the OC-2. I have never been able to get a useable tone from mine. I have an old Tiawan built unit for many years. No matter the signal I send it I get clipping all over the fingerboard with active and passive basses. The tone I am trying to achieve is the OCT 1 maxed out no clean.

If I put fuzz in front its gets worse. If I put it behind its even less usable.

Is my pedal defective? I am feeding it 9V from my Noble Pre. I would expect that to be nice clean power, but maybe not?

Any input would be welcome, I want this tone, I must be doing something wrong.

2. FunkyYeti

FunkyYeti

Oct 10, 2019
    I just got my OC2 a few days ago. It was clipping too so I moved my tube compressor behind it and it's fine now. It's the first in my pedal chain now. I use passive basses with a CIOKS DC7. I've also read the older ACA units may need 12v, but I'm too scared to try it...

3. bassgrackle

bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    Come to think of it, I don’t know if I have ever put it dead first. Usually I have a pre and or compressor before it. I will give that a try next.

4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Try everything! Does yours say ACA or PSA for the power input? If it is ACA then it is possible to mod it as the pedal is looking for more than 9V stock

5. FunkyYeti

FunkyYeti

Oct 10, 2019
    Mine says ACA. Should I run it at 12v?

Edit: The pedal works better at 12v. It doesn't clip with the compressor in front of it anymore!

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    sunbeast likes this.
  6. bassgrackle

bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    I am running the pedal first and I am still getting a weird uncontrollable vibrato/reverby effect with what sounds like the speakers bottoming out, and I am at supper low volume. I have also put 12V to it and still same weird overtones between notes.

7. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah this is an issue with the old Boss pedals before there was the current 9V standard. Here is a site with some instructions on how to mod it to work correctly with 9V power (look at the bottom list for the correct OC-2 components to mod): Modifying old Boss ACA pedals to PSA specs – stinkfoot.se
    If you also notice a slight volume drop in -1 Octave mode, another easy mod to do while you're in there is to disconnect the -2 Octave section which will boost the overall output of the remaining circuit noticeably (you could also disconnect the Dry pot, which will boost output even more): Boss OC-2 Volume Mod