1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OC-2 clipping .

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ugly_bassplayer, Nov 3, 2013.

1. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    My OC-2 is clipping when I dig in or play a little harder. Is this normal or should I get it checked out??
    It even clips when I play normally on certain notes. I've checked and it's not my cab.
    My OC-3 does not have the same issue.

2. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    This happened to me when I put an fea optifet in front of mine. I was giving it to much signal, I play a passive pbass so normally I don't have the issue. I have noticed it when I'm boosting before it though. Could be something else?!

3. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    Same thing with mine with an active bass. I just learnt to play how the pedal need to be played. Doesn't like a super hot signal. Passive basses with nothing boosting the signal shouldn't cause it any issues.

4. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    It still clips with a passive P or J running into it with no boost in front.

5. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Apr 22, 2009
    Derby, UK
    If I dig in hard it still does that with my bass in passive mode, it's also made worse by the mod driver on my cab (take the highs out and I can't hear the audible distortion it adds). I have to force myself to make it happen though - I just play softer when I use the OC2.

Assume these tests are being done on a decent amp/cab and not an underpowered practice combo that can't handle the lows (don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but worth checking?).

6. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Semi-related, you can make an OC-2 sound really different by specifically clipping it with a really serious boost in front, say +20db. Totally changes to the tone of the pedal into something new, which you may or may not find useful.

7. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Happens to me too when I dig in. However, I like it and use to my a-vantage (yes, no D). If I want to avoid it, I just put a compressor in front of it.

8. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    So this behavior is normal??

9. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I don't think it's normal that it clips when you're playing, as you say, normal...

10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    If Im not careful mine clips too. Not horribly but if its set extremely it will send my amp into clipping. Its an octave pedal, its capable of very low sub frequencies.IMO you just have to play smart with it. Its not a pedal you can go balls out with, I had to learn how to take it easy with the OC2. That is one of the reasons I wish I still had my POG. I never had clipping issues with that. That is the one pedal I look back and regret getting rid of. I still like my OC2 a lot though. Its got a great flavor to it.

11. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Sound clips are always helpful, btw.

I have a pretty high output passive P bass and don't recall it clipping during normal playing.

And troubleshooting is a process of elimination. Try a different bass. Try a different amp. Try no amp to isolate just the bass into the OC-2 (perhaps your amp is clipping due to the sub-lows). Try a different power source for the OC-2.

12. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I ran the pedal through a few good rigs and straight to a recording sound card, all with the same results. The oc 2 clips. I find this strange because I use passive basses and can make the pedal clip without digging in that hard.

13. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    What would be the best alternative for the OC2 for the synth thing??

14. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    Iron ether subterranea! But good luck getting one, wait list is extensive. But I've owned one and it will do the oc2 tone and so much more.

15. Lemon

16. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    ??

17. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    The OC-2 has a hot front end amplifier that looks like it may be the suspect to your clipping issue. Bass guitars can have much more signal amplitude than their six string brothers.

If you are able or have a tech friend, you can easily modify the pedal to be bass friendly by replacing one resistor. R6 is a 2K7 (2.7K) resistor you can change it to 4K7 (4.7K) for more headroom. The larger you make R6 the more headroom the pedal will have for the input signal.

R6 @ 2K7 = Input gain of 4.7
    R6 @ 4K7 = Input gain of 3.1
    R6 @ 10K = Input gain of 2.0
    Remove R6 for an input gain of 1.0

-Frank

18. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    You sir, are AWESOME. What resistor would you recommend?

:bassist:

19. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    How much clean signal do you mix in with the octave signals?

-Frank

20. ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I never use the 2 octaves down.
    I mix anywhere from zero Clean to about 70% depending on the tone I want. I use the OC2 for both the synth tone and as an Octaver.
    It's mainly the synth tone that clips.