1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OC-2 talk

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Mar 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I had one and foolishly sold it due to tone suck issues I perceived when bypassed. But man, nothing really does what wet only sub-octave 1 does. I have an Octabvre and it gets close but when it gets down to brass tacks, doesn't have the velvety smoothness of the OC2. It's 90% there, but that last 10% is what I miss. So I'm thinking about re-upping and getting another.

I cant remember if mine was MIJ or MIT or MIK or what.

Whats the consensus? For best results is there a preferred place of origin? I know there are folks on here with more info on this than what my walnut sized brain knows about it.

thanks

jazznrick likes this.
  2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Which Octabvre did you have? The Tim Tuned version gets much closer to the OC-2 than the original Octabvre. The Mini has this version inside, and the MkII is switchable. I have a Mini and think it's pretty damn close!

Otherwise, the EBS, Aguilar, or COG don't sound much like it, the MXR gets close though.

Bassist30 likes this.
  3. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I have the MkII. With the tim tuning, and the tone all the way counterclockwise, its close, but no cigar. I have to put stuff after it to smooth it out, and it still aint quite there

4. Because you are in the states, keep an eye out in CL for a used one, in all honesty I own both the MIT and MIJ and the sound essentially the same. I actually paid MORE for my MIT because I didn't know there was a difference before I bought my first one. Got my MIJ for $70 Canadian a few months later.

J.Wolf likes this.
  5. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    So you hear no real difference in sounds with it set to completely wet, suboctave 1 only?

6. I sold my OC2 due to a slight volume drop below unity with the -1 octave solo'd, which is the main way I use it. I bought the Octabvre mini hoping that would be the solution, but it just couldn't cop the same full sound as the OC2 to my ears. Sooo I sold the Octabvre, bought another OC2 (MIJ) and now have it in the loop of a Saturnworks booster looper, so I have control of the OC2 volume and the bonus of true bypass when it's not in use

7. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Yeah now that I’m using a loop strip with channels, it’s easier for me to put the oc2 back in place without dealing with tonal issues as much. The octabvre mkII is great, don’t get me wrong

8. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    I sold my mint OC-2 and kind of regret it. I have a love / hate relationship with it. On power on, it's always on...which means I have to switch it off before I can play anything else. It doesn't like active basses or hot pickups and it's not a tru bypass. So it seems to effect the bypassed signal, which was a problem having it early in my chain. These days I get by with a MXR BOD which can get pretty close, but it's a little brighter and less murky (so I'm guessing a slightly different internal HPF). But it's close enough and I don't have all the other pedal woes that I had with the Boss unit.
    But yes...I would dearly love an exact OC-2 clone in a modern box...with a "fully wet only" foot switch, true bypass and can handle an active bass and has some decent output volume too....wishful thinking...I wonder If Boss will ever release an anniversary OC-2 variant?

cnltb likes this.
  9. Isn't that already a pedal?

10. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I too love the OC-2. They don’t all sound exactly the same and I don’t think the difference is always MIJ, MIT or generational. I have 2 of them now (a MIJ Octaver and a MIT Octave).

I do think a few companies have made better versions of the pedals.

The best is the Broughton Broughctave if you can find one. The COG T-16 and T-47 are the best readily available options that I know of.

GMC and J.Wolf like this.
  11. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

Yes but it doesn't quite get there IMO

12. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    The Broughctave gets there. Filters on both the octave and clean signal, more than enough volume on both, footswitch for full wet (with internal dip for choosing square wave), and an additional square wave with filter.

13. Rambazamba

Rambazamba

Dec 14, 2012
    Berlin
    bassrest and Coughdrops like this.
  14. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    The Cog T-47 is close to what I'm after. The Cog unit needs two separate channels and the switches can switch between the two internal units. I think this is so that two sounds can be dialled in, not just for the subby sound but also to utilise the filter sweep. It's a nice unit and the filter does open up the verastiltiy a bit more. But it is in a larger 1590BB case. What i'm after is a single unit in a 1590b size with two switches. One to switch on, the other to switch out the wet / dry knob and set to fully wet (it's a fairly easy mod on a OC-2). Maybe I'll have to vero build one myself at some point.

15. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Broughctave gets there? Really? Thats not uninteresting to hear.

16. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    wish there was a solitary Broughctave clip out there to find. Google search yielded bubkis.

17. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I had a COG T16 but to me it sounded nothing like an OC-2 soloed. I then got the Octabvre Mini in to compare and there was no contest.

I actually preferred the COG though when blending with the dry signal due to the filter. I find a subbier tone works better there whereas the punchy midrange of the OC-2 / Octabvre works great soloed but clashes with the dry signal rather than complements it.

18. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    the nice thing about using the OC2 on an effect loop strip is that you can add something after it to makeup any gain differences or add other colors to the suboctave. Like creating "scene" presets. I could see adding a boost and some tremolo to that channel for different options, but mainly the boost to deal with any volume issues.

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Did you do the +1.7 or the +3.2 mod?

20. RHA III

RHA III Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2012
    OR
    I have the OC-3 and like it, but I've been looking for a OC-2 to compare.