1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OC-2 vs. Octave Multiplexer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GabeN, Feb 25, 2008.

1. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    I'm going for a doomy kind of sound with a kind of softer octaving effect. I've got an OC-2 and it sounds very synthy and clear but it is almost too clear and doesn't give a very thick sound when distorted with an MXR blowtorch.

My question is, would the EHX Octave Multiplexer give me a more blended and less artificial octave sound?

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
  3. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    oooh ... I'm watching your post with interest.

I'm in the same search for a dark but smooth octaver. Heard a sound kinda sorta close on the ME-50B multi-effect, but I'm not looking for all the other stuff.

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I've owned the OC-2 and the Blowtorch but not the Octave Multiplexer. From what I've heard from the the Octave Multiplexer, I personally don't think it's going to be any more what you're looking for than the OC-2. The Octabass is more natural sounding to my ears. What order are you running the OC-2 and Blowtorch in?

5. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    I'm running my bass right into the OC-2 for better tracking and then into the Blowtorch.

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Ok good that's the way I'd recommend you run it, at least that's how I prefer to run my octavers and overdrives/distortions/fuzzes. Look into the octabass if you get a chance.

7. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Anybody have any additional info or sound clips? Bump for today.

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    It's a bit of an overspend if all you want is the octave, but the Bass Micro Synth's got four voices you can blend (Oct-, Guitar, Oct+, Square Wave) and different combinations of them produce quite a few different (and useful) tones.

With the internal preamp set appropriately for the output level of your bass, cranking the Oct+ to 10 introduces a sweet-sounding overdrive, so you've got the option then of mixing in the square wave signal with that to get some fuzzy top end.

Anyway yeah, very useful pedal even if you never use the filter section, but a bit pricey and a huge box. Tracking seems better on lower notes than the OC-2, although I've only tried both with one bass (my Warwick Thumb N/T with MEC elecs). The OC-2 starts stuttering at the fifth-fret D, but the Micro Synth is OK with notes down to open A if played cleanly.

9. im interested in this thread...i have an ocatve multiplexer now and have been wondering about the comparisons between the oc-2, the octave multiplexer can get stupid low, tracking can get off with a slight adjustment of the knobs though, its hard to find a good sound that wont blow your speakers and have the tracking on point