OC-3 as an overdrive/distortion/fuzz...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by manchild, Jun 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    As the title says, does anyone use the boss super octave on it'd drive setting only without octave effect?

I have listened to a few YouTube vids of it and I like the range if drive it has and that it is quite gated in sound.

Is it quite a sterile/hi-fi/synthetic kind of tone or can it be used as an alternative to other popular drive and dirt pedals?

2. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    Had one. Hated the drive tone. It was long enough ago I forget why, but I know it never got used in that capacity. COULD it be done, absolutely... just depends on whether that's the sound you want.

manchild likes this.
  3. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Same as with Bit Commander (Base Overdrive) you can use it as an EFFECT, but not for your regular tone. A bit nasty on my mind.

manchild likes this.
  4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    It's the same basic flavor of the Boss ODB-3, just with less range. It can be used as a drive on its own, esp if you run it into another preamp pedal, but most other popular drives sound much better IMO.

5. JCooper

JCooper

Oct 21, 2009
    Denver
    Too fizzy, IMO.

6. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Will it will work...yes.
    I hade one and hated the sound. But that doesn't mean it won't sound good to you. Trust your ears

7. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    A one-trick pony- I use the distortion setting with low gain/low clean signal and tons of Octave 1 to get a nice synth sound.

Results may vary- but you'll starve to death on a sonic diet with this as your sole distortion.