1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OC-3/Mini POG/POG

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stampy, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    What do you think is the best all around octave pedal out right now? I think an octave is going to be my next pedal.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Big POG.

3. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    I am all about the OC2.

OC3 is OK... a used OC2 is the thing...

John

4. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    I use the micropog:D

5. I had an opportunity to try an OC-2 and an OC-3 side by side.

Personally I preferred the OC-3.
    The 3 had a little more versatility and was a bit more bass friendly to my ears.

Both have a better octave down than my micro pod.

MM

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    do you want two octaves up? if yes....the POG is the way to go. if you just want a decent all around octave pedal then get the micro pog.

7. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    MPOG - Small, easy, best tracking.

8. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah.

Don't believe me? Play through Mode 7 with Control 2 all the way down.
    KA BOOM. Huge bottom. Tracks like... a train.

9. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I have and like the big POG. But it's not so much as a good conventional octaver.
    I used it for insane organ-like sounds.
    It sounds a bit too metallic to be taken seriously in 99% of band settings.

It is a fun pedal to play around with though.

10. HOG. Because it's just HUGE. HUGE!!!:bag:

Seriously if you just want an octave down then go with the MPOG. But if you want a seriously versatile pedal then the HOG is how to do it for the low low cost of 480.

I disagree with C'thulhu (don't disembowel me) that the upper registers are unusable in a band setting, but they do need to be tamed with a dirt or something because they can be harsh if left to their own devices.

11. enen

enen

Mar 2, 2008
    how does octabass compare to these? tonally as well as tracking

12. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I will swallow your soul. :mad:

:)
    It's your right to disagree with me.
    Admitted, my statement was a bit bold. If someone knows what he is doing the POG can be used in some bands/genres.
    I didn't implied that the higher octaves are unusable. I played around with the POG a lot. (not the HOG, or was your comment to disagree with me on the POG? :confused:)
    Even without the higher octaves on or just at minimum levels it sounds more metallic.
    What I noticed is that it reacts differently to different basses through different amps.
    And I suppose that "unuseful metallic" like I define it can also be improved by working with compressors and/or equalizers.

But then again the OP asked for the best all around octaver.
    Although I never tried the µ-POG I hear that it's not that metallic as the big one.

I like my POG a lot. It's an insane pedal to have fun with. I'm not a regular guy and I don't need a regular octaver. :D

13. IIRC, the POG and HOG have remarkably similar tones, with the exception of the detune function (which I really wish I had on my HOG, but the POG has no expression capabilities.....dammit). If my memory serves me well, then I stand by my belief about tone that what applies to the HOG applies to the POG. If my memory sucks, then ignore everything I just typed. Then ingest my soul :help:(man, that sounds unpleasant).

14. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    micro POG for sure. if i had a use for an octave i wouldn't have sold mine.

15. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Whammy IV. Smooth and synthy on down shifts, crisp and glitchy on the high shifts, plus all the joy of having an expression pedal built in.

16. I have never heard an octaver track better than the microPOG

17. i've owned both the OC2, and OC3 and a micropog.

I personally prefer the Octave down sound of the Boss pedals (my MIJ OC2 had amazing tracking too, dont really remember the OC3 that well), its alot fatter, like the bass notes on an electric keyboard (IMO), while the Micropog seems a bit thinner tonally and very digital - sort of like your bass but with no soul like its being run through a chain of compressors, bad compressors. HOWEVER, it does UP and DOWN, and tracks perfectly and polyphonically, and altho i sold my last micropog, it was only because my guitarist fell in love with it and insisted that he buy it off me, however, i should have a new one within a week or so. And i cant wait.

The fact that its polyphonic and tracks flawlessly (to me anyway) cannot be overlooked, and also i feel that having an octave up rather than -2oct is far more useful. even if you hate the oct-up, you still have an octaver that doesnt care where you play, what you play, or how fast you play it.

so just for standard octave down id go for a Japanese OC2, but you have to be careful where you play (not too low) and try not to do any double-stops or chords

if you want to turn a 4-string bass into a 12-string get the micropog ;) it completely eliminates any GAS for a 8 or 12-string (admittedly the GAS was minimal, but it was there)