1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OC2 Killer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drumvsbass, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Why do so few bassists talk about the EHX Octave Multiplexor as that synthy womp sound? Eats the OC2 for lunch (imo) and delivers more low end than I know what to do with... please discuss.

marty the bass player

Shadowkast and Inconnu like this.
  2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Probably because the OC-2 is 100% perfect as is? (imo)

alack, winterburn69, torza and 4 others like this.
  3. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I feel that the EHX OM delivers more of what the OC-2 does bigger. Like I get the charm of the OC-2's warbley chorus, and I get that the OM is a bit of a tweaky pedal tracking wise (but not really any tweakier than the OC-2)... but the low end of this mofo is crushing in a way that the OC-2 just isn't. And I'm sure that there are some magic Japanese made version 1.0 OC-2 from the dark ages that was dropped a few too many times that might deliver more mojo in that dept... but I haven't seen/heard/or tried them yet. I'm also a guy who preferred the Octavius Squeezer over the Deep Impact so who knows, maybe my brain is disfuntional in some way. Just seems like every body is gaga on the OC-2 and very few even mention the OM as an alternative. Just an observation and certainly not a judgement. It's late here and I had a rough day so maybe I am cranky too.... sigh.

cataract likes this.
  4. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Honestly, I’ve just never used an EHX pedal that I’ve fully loved.. so as far as “brand bias” goes, not a fan of EHX as a whole. Open to a changed opinion but as it is I’ve never even heard of their OC-2 variant before you mentioned it.
    (Which may answer your actual question?)
    Like I’ve said, I’m beyond okay with the actual OC-2 that I own. It’s a keeper, which says a lot (I’m FICKLE!!)
    I once owned an OC-3 for a short while ten years ago and it didn’t click with me at all, so I understand the tone quest..
    All I’m saying is that if you’re going for an OC-2 tone, why not just buy one? They’re not so rare and certainly not overpriced. You’d most likely break completely even if you decide to flip it.

TinyE likes this.
  5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't buy EHX.
    So the multi doesn't figure in my search for the perfect octave.
    Also; I like the OC2.

howlin and cataract like this.
  6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Always here good things about the OC 2. Might get one from Reverb.

7. Not sure if I'm with you on the Multiplexor over the OC-2, (but then I'm more of a fan of the Foxrox Octron and Mu-Fx Octave Divider than either!), however I'm definitely with you on the Chunk Octavius Squeezer: awesome synth pedal (even if you need a science degree to work the interface and create new patches)

8. I tried the Boss OC-2 when I was shopping for an octave and walked out with an EHX Multiplexer. Unbiased by brand, not knowing the reputation the oc-2 had among bass players (before Talkbass existed!).

I never looked back.

Personal preferences really

9. The OC-2 won't break though...

zapped777 likes this.
  10. My Octave Multiplexer works perfectly since I bought it new, 15 years ago...

11. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner

Jun 30, 2017
    Chicago
    Nice luck! My first EHX pedal broke within 3 months of buying it new.

12. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    I a/b'd the mxr and the aguilar, and tracking wise they were identical. I owned the ebs octave. Now I have the oc2. I've never had the tracking issues people mention.. At least it's not a lot worse than the others. Also the buffer on it seeems awesome.

Cog is on my radar for my bigger board though the oc2 stays on my smaller board for sure. It's just awesome

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    For me the OC-2 is the gold standard.

alack likes this.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I obviously have been looking and thinking about the OC2 lately. I was re-convinced to re-introduce it to my board. It has a really identifiable sound when you're running it as a synth (octave 1, no dry, no octave 2) that's a classic. I'm not looking for 'more and deeper' or more aggressive or whatever...just that sound...but delivered without the non-defeatable buffer or any associated volume loss. The thread I posted about it has been really informative.

What nails the OC-2 synth sound without the negatives?

The end answer is that there's no such thing as an OC-2 killer.

Every option that everyone has posted as nailing the OC-2 tone has at least one response from someone saying 'it's cool but it doesn't nail the OC-2 tone'.

In the end, it looks like the real option of having the most killer OC-2 tone...is to have someone take my OC-2 and spend some time working under the hood.

torza, GentProvocateur and Veldar like this.
  15. Shadowkast

Shadowkast

Aug 20, 2016
    The Dreadfort
    What constitutes good sound is obviously subjective. Chasing the exact tone dragon of anything is, for me, a maze I'd rather not get lost in. There just comes a point of diminishing returns. I think it's healthy to obsess about your own sound. I don't think it's as useful to pursue perfect replication.

I love the Multiplexer as well, and settled on it for this type of pedal. I'm a terrible player who only uses 4 stringers and am very methodical about every note. Tracking didn't become an issue, because I am a slug. So it became about the sonics and controls that I preferred. I tried the OC-2, MXR , and Octamizer and they were all cool and I understand perfectly why someone would pick any of them. But truly, if I was serious about analog octave boxes, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Cog Effects pedal. Those guys take the effect, and control of the effect, to another level.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  16. Well, the only EHX pedal I have that broke is a Bass Soul Food, after 2 years I think. The other 10 EHX pedals I have never gave up on me (though some are shelved right now).

Anyways, I even had bad luck with a Boss pedal once, I own an old Ibanez Soundtank pedal that won’t die, etc, etc.

In brief, bad luck happens ;)

Back to topic :)

Moody Tuner likes this.
  17. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    There is no OC2 killer. Or an OC2 "clone". It's a pedal onto itself. There have been some recent releases by say 3Leaf and COG that get you in the same space if not extremely close. But the OC2 is its own thing IMO. Love it or hate it, it has a cult following for a reason. I have one and love it. Rarely use it. But still love it. There hasnt been any other pedal I've tried that does what it does. But if that's what you're looking for, get it. If it's not, get something else.

hintz and cataract like this.
  18. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    I've learned the real key to the OC-2 sound is EQ. If you have a relatively close sounding sub octave, the rest can be accomplished with an EQ pedal on the octave sound. Add some low to mid mids, cut the top end and adjust the low end to suit, and you have an OC-2.

As far as killers go, I don't think there is one. I prefer the Iron Ether Subterranea for this task tho, because I have managed to get so many different sounds from it that the others just don't do. I've found most of the others won't react to your bass tone like the SubT. When you add bass, the sub voice adds bass, when you play closer to the neck or bridge, the sub voice also takes on some of those tonal qualities. That means far more to me than a sound that everyone else uses.

HolmeBass and Blu bro like this.
  19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    He just did a short special order run of Subterranea, but it's the last. I believe they're all gone now unless you find one used.

Alien8 likes this.
  20. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Rightfully so! I have considered a second many times over.

BurningSkies likes this.