1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

OCD's

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Juneau, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I thought this might be a fun little thread for those of us messed up individuals who have mild to major cases of OCD. Everyone has their own little patterns or ticks and I thought it might be interesting to hear about others OCD's.

Here's a small list of some of mine to get it started.

1) My coffee table - I have an antique cigg holder, 4 remotes, and 2 coasters, they must be arranged properly on the table or I flip out. I can't even watch TV if one or more of these objects is out of place. I believe this has to do with my OCD relating to symetry. I almost always organize things symetrically.

2) Open doors/cupboards - I have to close them. This works for toilet seats/covers as well. They must be down.

3) Shower curtains - Must be opened from the side the drain is on, or closed. It seems most other people open shower curtains from the opposite side the foscett is on. This drives me insane and I will go out of my way to close the curtain or open it from the other side.

4) Putting things back where I got them from. Everything in my possession has a place, and if its not in its place while not being used, I will go out of my way to put it back. Even if its just a few feet from where it belongs or closer. This goes for pretty much any inanimant object in my house.

5) Squareness is what Ill call this one. I can't have things at angles to the walls, unless its a 45 degree angle. All my furnature is centered on the wall, or if not possible, squarely placed in the room. Even slight angles will catch my attention and I have to put them right.

Im sure I have a lot more, but those are some of the biggest ones. Im glad to not be one of those people that can't control it (I can if I try, but it bothers me a lot), or that have more odd ones, like opening and closing a door 3 times or things like that.

Also, for those of us that have OCD's like this, some good movies to check out are Matchstick Men, Dirty Filthy Love, and Monk (The TV Show) hehe.

Please share your odd OCD's with the class :)

Gazman likes this.
  2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'm with you on the squareness one. That stuff drives me crazy.

Also really bad about dust/lint on things like TV, front of LCD screens (Radio faceplates).

I've also got a can of compressed air that I use to "clean" off my pedalboard and the front of my rack units with.....and I do it alot.

Lint and dust hate me!

3. I get that way when I create a display. Everything has to be perfectly alligned with everything else, and it ALL had to form a square.

And yeah, I'll go "fix" the other displays in other departments. Hell, I'll even do it in other stores.

Rock on
    Eric

4. Ok, I'll play:

1. Cannot have anything in my pockets, period!
    2. Hate direct light/exposed light bulbs/rooms that are too brightly lit - even in my peripheral vision. Drives me absolutely nuts!
    3. With meals that have more then one food item, I eat one thing at a time. This drives my wife crazy. The other night we were having dinner out and without even thinking about it I segregated the items in my salad so that my greek olives were separate from the lettuce which was separated from my tomatoe wedges. Even I had to acknowledge that was pretty whacked out.

sissy kathy likes this.
  5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I have the lighting problem too, but not with flourescents for some reason. Brightly lit rooms with overhead flourescents doesnt bother me at all. Having an overhead light bulb, like from a ceiling fan light drives me nuts as well.

I also hate fans of any kind, especially oscilating ones. I hate having air blown on me, even wind bothers me sometimes. I can tolerate ceiling fans if they are set to reverse and suck air up, rather than blow down on me.

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Awesome!

I'm same way with food....always eat one item at a time. I remember seeing people, both on TV and in real life who sit down, and automatically start mixing stuff around/together on their plates....I'm sure if somebody took a pic I'd have a horrified look on my face after seeing that.

here's one for ya......

When I'm pumping gas....I CANNOT stop on anything other than an even dollar amount. Anything other than an even dollar amount and I ain't right for some time.......

7. All this tells me is that if I ever find out where any of you live, I could have LOADS of fun making your life a living hell.:D

Kidding.:D

Rock on
    Eric

Oddly likes this.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    First off, nice call on Matchstick Men. I like that movie.

1) I hang all of my clothes. Nothing is folded in a drawer besides undergarments like socks and boxers.
    2) The clothes that hang are organized by type as in button up, then color within type, then alphabetically within color if there is writing on the shirt.
    3) I can not wear a pair of shoes in public if there are any visible marks on them.
    4) I also eat one food item at a time on my plate. I do not like the different kinds to touch each other.
    5) Shoe tying. Mine have to be perfectly tied, and it usually takes me a few tries. This one is out of control as I will tell someone if their shoes are not tied in a way I think looks right.
    6) Pantry organization. I actually got this one form the psycho dude in Sleeping With The Enemy. All food items must be facing forward, lined up properly, and of course...in alphabetical order. :D

-Mike

Oddly likes this.
  9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    You sure #3 isn't just vanity?? :D (joking)

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I just thought about a couple more....prob the two most common for me.

The Matchstick Men ref. reminded me of a movie that I related to a little bit. Leo's portrayal of Howard Hughes in "The Aviator"....

I am really bad about washing my hands...I probably wash my hands 3/4 times an hour and when I'm at work (not around water faucet) I use baby wipes constantly, but it can only be the kind that leaves absolutely NO sticky/lotion feel on your hands.

I'm also really bad about using public restrooms, anywhere. I have a routine where I wash my hands, hold onto the napkin after I dry my hands so that if I can't catch the door with my foot to exit I never touch the handle. And toss the napkin across bathroom into trash while my foot holds the door.

11. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i have 4:
    1] i can only wear converse chuck taylor shoes. i have 2 pair or dress shoes for weddings and funerals. if i am not wearing my chucks i have anxiety attacks. if i'm going to a wedding or funeral, i will change into the dress shoes once i get ther but not 1 second before. i change out of them the split second after.

2] i have 10 pair of levis 550 blue jeans and 10 pair of black. only pants i can wear. i dont own a suit or a tie.

3] i absolutely cannot wear anyone elses clothes or lend anyone my tshirts or anything. i am very germaphobic that way. if someone were to put on my hats,tshirts or whatever i have to throw them away. although if a cookie fals on the floor, 10 second rule applies.

4]i have one bass that i cannot let out of my sight. my 1969 dan armstrong. i have massive anxiety attacks when i need to get work done on it. my repair guy knows this and always does the repair while i wait. the last time i left it overnight i was a nervous wreck.

12. I don't know how I could have forgotten this little thing. Last summer as I was mowing my lawn I realized that I was obsession over which way to go.

• Around the perimeter in one direction until I got to the center?
    • Back and forth from front to back?
    • Go in a constant direction until I hit an obstacle, like a tree then go the other way?

What to do? So I then decided to start at a tree in the middle, mow around it in ever increasing circles until I encountered an obstacle which would cause the circles to reverse, and continue to increase until I was unable to go any further.

The results were like crop circles. I discovered if I offset the height of my mower wheels (left 2 lower then the right 2) I could really make the circles pop! I proceeded to do this all summer. My neighbors avoid me now.

Here are pics - these are of early circles. I got much better at it later in the summer and plan to do it again this season!

http://www.midnighttoast.com/flash/splash_00.html

For me, this is very theraputic. If anyone is interested, I can elaborate on how to offest the mower wheels and mowing circle directional choice to maximize the effect of the circles! :eek:

13. i have the square thing too
    same with the food thing, if i get a berger, fries and a soda, i have to eat it
    1.) fries
    2.)berger
    3.)soda
    non fast food i eat in order, but i don't mind if they touch (some people with heavy OCD don't like that)
    i will always check my door twice if i locked it or not (not a big deal, but i do like to double check :))
    and i don't like single pickup basses...always has to be two :) thats why i can't stand the way pbasses look because they only have one pickup :)

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I think i have the opposite of OCD.

I have to have my environment messy... All my socks are exactly the same because i just dump everything out and this way I don’t have to match anything up or hang anything. My old shoes do not have shoes laces (well one has half of shoe lace). The new shoes do though... And weird thing is, I only clean up when i am "under influence of stuff Clinton did not inhale". That’s when I get active and start cleaning up.

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I don't like using other people's showers.

I freak out when someone else uses my pillow. (The pillowcase gets changed immediately after. The only exception to this is my blushing bride-to-be for some reason.)

I _really_ freak out when someone is sitting on my couch and they put their feet up ON a pillow that I put my head on. I either ask them to move, or I move the pillow myself.

I don't know if it's an o/c deal or not, but if I suspect that any food is remotely in the ballpark of being near the possibility of going bad, out it goes. I try my best not to waste food, and only buy small amounts at a time to keep down what I end up throwing out.

I will also admit to having the compulsion to changing the shower curtain to the "right" way, that is, open on the drain side.

Toilet paper must be hung in the correct fashion.

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Good to know Im not the only one on the shower curtain hehe. Everyone who does not have this compulsion that I know, opens the shower from the other side. I wonder if the drain side being open is part of the obsession. As in, if your obsessed about it, it has to be drain side your obsessed about, and not the opposite side.

And yes, Toilet paper is another one. The open side must hang over the top towards the front, not pulled from the back. I will change them around to the "correct" way, even in public restrooms, if its not a PITA hehe.

Oddly likes this.
  17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I think its really funny too that almost everyone that's posted, used some sort of numbering, spacing, bullets, or other formatting to post. Cept Superbassman, but sounds like he doesnt have it bad really (good for him!). No self respecting lunatic OCD guy could post the word Burger mispelled "Berger" so many times lol.

bolophonic likes this.
  18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Good observation!

19. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I am really bad when it comes to "contamination". I am a compulsive washer and often feel most parts of the world are off limits unles I clean them. My bass and my computer are my only "immaculate" material possesions. Pretty bad huh?

20. Ok one question, what is OCD? I know what it is, but what does the letters mean?

Also, I have the toilet paper habit and I change it in public restroom too.

And my earphones.... I can't listen to music with them if the L is not in my Left ear and the R in my right ear, does that count?