1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ocean Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedCoatMonster, Mar 1, 2008.

1. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Anyone have very much experience with these basses? Ive heard of them and their specs seem pretty good, especially for the price. Im just curious as to if they are very wel built and what kinda tone they have, etc. Any input would be appreciated. :D

2. Well until recently i was going along with what everyone else was saying about them being the Guitar Center House brand but recently they are also available at Musicians Friend and a few other on line outlets like Music123....so i guess thats out

They are actually made by a company called Laguna and as far as i can tell there are two models the TB70 and the TB75

the are actually made in the same factory as some ESP's and share a passing resemblence with ESP "B" series

however they come stock with Bartoloni's MK2's and a Bart three band EQ, selective/passive switch, a nice stock bridge wenge/maple neck, hipshot liscensed tuners, brasss nut, neck through construction, maple body, the knobs also have "o" rings on them, which i guess comes in handy for a sweaty hand on stage.

they run in the $750.00 to $850.00 range

they are nice, but for that money i think there are better choices....the also seemed a little heavy to me, although the 4 string version was fairly well balanced

i played one at GC and moved on....

3. MF and GC are owned by the same company....

4. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

Lakland maybe ? Hell... if you're SUPER patient, a used FBB goes for that.

I didn't know that, but im not surprised.

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I played one just today actually at GC, through a Mark Bass F-1 and MB 210 cab. They are VERY powerful, in fact more than anything else in the store, the output is just plain rediculous. The passive tone is thick and punchy and the active tone really sounds clean and crisp, kinda different puppy here, I really think the are on to something, that bass was REALLY cranking. The only con to me was the string spacing, just a tad bit tight for my tastes.

6. I think Billy Ocean owns the company and they are based somewhere in the Caribbean or something.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. Guitar Center has the TB70 on sale for $599.00 in case that helps

8. I played an Ocean at GC yesterday. It was decent, but not worth the price to me. The resale value would be horrible, obviously.

The tone was VERY similar to an Ibanez SR500 I played. They both share similar electronics, so that makes sense.

The Ibanez was smaller, lighter, and cheaper. And it looks better IMO.

I ended up walking out with a Geddy Lee, myself.

On a side note: The GC rep had a very difficult time budging on the price of the Geddy. I ended up getting it for $700 but he had to get the manager to "override" something in their system. He claims GC is taking away their power to move on the price.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I played an Ocean 4 string fretless and I'm continously tempted to go to GC and buy it. Fit and finish were top notch and it played easily. The thing was really damn loud to boot.

10. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I just set up a laguna guitar...it was really crappy. But I went to GC last week and played an ocean fretless just out of curiosity because I hadn't heard of them before, it was pretty nice.

11. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    They look good and are loud. Resale probably would be an issue.

MEKer likes this.
  12. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I played one of the four string fretlesses a few times. It is an absolute riot. One of the most playable and versatile basses i've ever picked up. It even had a credible slap tone. I really liked it, but it doesn't feel like a quality instrument that will take the wear and tear of gigging. If I could get one for @$300.00 less than the asking price I'd get one but at the price they want i won't take the chance.

13. I would agree with the person who compared it to an Ibanez SR500. It's got the same electronics, so you would expect a similar tone. I think GC has dropped the price so $599 because people weren't lining up to pay $800 for a brand no one has heard of - when you can buy something similar with better brand recognition for $550 in the same store.

Paying $800 for an unknown brand of bass that was most likely built in Asia is not a smart move from a resale perspective.

14. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    They're made in Indonesia.

15. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    If you end up with one post some sound clips, Im sure Im not the only one here thats curious about them.

16. CrashBang

CrashBang

Jan 1, 2008
    Newton, MA
    I've had mine for a little more than a month and love it. The quality of the instrument is surprisingly good for an instrument made by a company that no one has heard of. I love the neck, it is very playable. Moving from a Dean Metalman ML to this made me feel like I might actually some day be able to play this instrument. The active/passive switch is a lovely feature allowing me to play both ways and it is loud. I like the balance and once again coming from the Dean it seems lite.

Oh Ya, I bought it new from GC for $450.

With no interest financing for 1 year that's less than $40/per month.

17. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I played one Friday night. The neck was a bit too chunky for me, especially in the middle of the neck. It kind of felt Louisville slugger-ish. I also noticed several finish flaws.

GM

18. Dprocstar

Dprocstar

Jul 23, 2010
    I hope my review can be of some help. I'm an ex GC employee as well as seasoned bass player with lots of knowledge of gear and the experience playing it to back it up. There is a lot of truth to what people are saying. Laguna/Ocean is a GC brand. I don't know if they bought music123 or if they contract certain items together, but laguna/ocean is by no means an independent company.

As for the value of the bass. I have the 4 string fretless. I got it used really cheap, but after owning it for a year I would have paid more for it. Are they worth the now 599 asking price new? That's up to you. The biggest negative is if you try to refell it you'd be extremely lucky to get 300 for it. If you were sure you would be holding onto it I can say its better than any schecter or ibanez. The similar ibanez people have been comparing it to is made of cheap old basswood, not flame maple like the ocean. The maple is what gives it the clarity and projection. I've used it for about 40 gigs and have suffered no wear except the volume knobs which I would like to replace anyway. I have also got numerous compliments on the look and tone from other players. The fretless neck is quite nice.

19. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I actually ended up trading off a laptop of mine for a 5 string Ocean with the grey'ish finish to it last night. The bass is strung up with Blue Steels right now and I have about an hour playing time on it. I have to admit, this is a nice solid bass. It's no world beater, but it does feel and sound better than my old Ibby SR500 and the Schecter's that I've played recently. The electronics, while identical to what were in my Ibby, are solid and don't have any noise issues. I just need to decide if I'm going to keep this bass in the collection or sell/trade it off. Not sure on that one yet. Anyway, just wanted to share my limited experience with this somewhat rare bass.

Zach

20. I own both the 4 and 5 string models of this bass. I bought the 4 string first when they were pretty new on the market. I absolutely love this bass! Amazing playability and outstanding sound. The quality of it is really good. Don't see myself ever letting go of this one. (Especially since the resale on them is so low)

The 5 string on the other hand has lots of quality issues. There areas where excess glue is coming out, backwards wiring on the active/passive switching and the rubber o-rings on the knobs are cracking. However, I bought it used for only $300, so it was still a good deal. Those are all things I can fix. The sound is still very good (though not nearly as good as the 4 string for some reason).

If you look at the Cort A4's or Cort A5's, they appear to be the exact same bass as the Laguna Oceans. Anyone notice this before?

They stopped making these about 2 years ago, so you can only get them used at this point. I've seen them for $250-$500. If you can find one with no quality issues, consider grabbing it! Especially if you can get it in the $250 - $350 range. Great bass for the price.