Ocean's Eleven soundtrack, good riffs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Man, just saw this movie on DVD the other day and then went out and bought the soundtrack. I NEVER buy soundtracks, but the bass work on this one was just too good. If anyone's looking for new riffs to try out, try Pickpockets, or many of the others. Awesome stuff!
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The soundtrack had to be good, 'cause the movie blew!

Seriously though, I didn't care for it. Is the original any better, or was the George Clooney one an exact, scene-for-scene remake?
  3. I thought the movie was very good. I wonder what your tastes in film are, cuz most everyone I know liked this film.

I'll tell you what sucks, Shallow Hal. The Ferrell bros, or whatever their names are, have lost it since Something About Mary, which was OK.

Anyway, the soundtrack is awesome, like I said.
  4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    If you like the soundtrack to Ocean's Eleven, get the Snatch soundtrack. Another great soundtrack with some cool music.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

MarkMcCombs, coincidentally you are not the only one who has found the Ocean's Eleven soundtrack pleasing. We've had another thread here recently about the same thing.

I, myself, am tempted to buy it. I enjoyed the movie and liked the soundtrack too, even the Claire de Lunetheme by Debussy at the end.

Like you, I was disappointed in Shallow Hal.
    No matter how hard the Farrelly brothers try to justify the movie, the plot did boil down to a "fat girls are ugly unless you have a Tony Robbins spell cast on you." Any doubt about that should be erased in the horror shown by those who didn't have a spell cast on them when they saw the obese Gwyneth Paltrow.

That the show is offensive can be shown in substituting Paltrow's obesity for any other "disadvantage"...let's say that she is handicapped or black or Muslim or extremely unattractive or seven feet tall or three feet tall or whatever. With exactly the same plot, but a different disadvantage, the plot comes out offensive just as it does for the obesity.
  6. thanks, Bop, I'll search for that thread.

Yes, my wife and I, who are both thin, were kinda offended by the plot of Shallow Hal, also. I shudder to think how it might be received by our overweight relatives and friends, and am glad we weren't watching it with them. Gwyneth, what were you thinking????!!! She used to seem like a modern-day Grace Kelly, now I dunno.

What adds insult to injury is that we ended up paying a late fee for that POS, ouch!

I am muchly humbled when trying to play most of the riffs on the Ocean's Eleven cd, but it's sure fun.
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I like all kinds of movies -- cheesy slasher films, romantic comedies, "chick-flicks," drama and suspense thrillers. I preferred 3000 Miles to Graceland. I just couldn't get into Ocean's Eleven.

I didn't have a problem with Shallow Hal either -- other than the fact that it wasn't as funny as it was made out to be. I personally can't see how it was offensive to fat people. Wasn't the point of it to accept people for who they are and not be so concerned with outward appearances?

EDIT: The movie I recommend most often is Suicide Kings.
  8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    If you like the 'Ocean's Eleven' soundtrack, do check out 'Come Get It I Got It', also by David Holmes. It's a mix album of obscure funk/soul/jazz/blues tracks, all mixed in with original funky material by Holmes himself under the name 'Free Association'. A very cool album!

www.cdnow.com has good soundclips.
  9. misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Are either of those similar in style/genre to the soundtrack for "Out of Sight"? Just curious...
  10. The 'Oceans Eleven' soundtrack is great, a bassists delight! The movie was excellent too.

Shallow Hal sucked! Jack Black was cool though. I have never liked Gwyneth Paltrow.
  11. correct on all accounts, but I have this thing for Gwyneth, and my wife doesn't get it, even though they look alike. In my book, Gwyneth is on par with the film stars of yesteryear, like Grace Kelly, Liz Taylor, and others, she just has that quality about her.