OctaBass came in today - busted.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tsal, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Now this is the negative side on webstores.

Seems like my EBS Octabass would be busted, sounds like it distorts the signal, and it doesen't track properly for octave goes off and and then back on. Plus the footswich clicks really annoingly.

So I'll prolly send it back to the store, get my cash out and pay the extra 30 bucks in local store.

BTW Allodox, noticed anything similar with your Octa?
  2. Sorry to hear about that, Tsal.

This sort of thing is really the reason why I wouldn't buy over the web. Sure, it's usually cheaper but when things go wrong, boy do they seem to go wrong.

Like you say....:mad: :mad: :mad:

3. Yeah I blame the mail order service, they always seem to mess up the packages they bring it to the door and it's all banged up... But that really sucks! I'm sorry that it came in busted. :mad: :mad:
  4. the switch clicks rather hard yes.. but that is just proof of quality.. you don't hear the click on the amp.

the thingy of losing track is a known issue.. specially on open strings at long notes it loses track. the A, E and B strings suffer it..

that is why i swapped the octabass for a multicomp..

but what do you mean by " it sounds distorted " ??
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It sounds like amp would be overdriven and clipping the octave. I'm quite sure it's not the amp, even though I have tried it only thru my Microbass combo. Might be that the battery is extremely low for some reason.

I'll try if swapping the battery and running it thru my 130w combo would do any good.
  6. Hey,

What you're getting is normal on ANY octave pedal. Yep, the switch is hard to press (build quality is OUTSTANDING), but like said, it's not audible through your amp.

Nearly all Octave effects have trouble tracking low notes, and none can handle chords with any sense. Some basses have a hotter output, which Octave pedals like (better tracking). For example, my Rickenbacker into a Boss OC-2 Octave can actually track down to a low F not-to-badly, and can handle any note on the A string.

The farting distortion is the amp trying to handle a signal one octave below. Be careful, if the amp doesn't have enough headroom, or the speaker(s) aren't suited to the extra low-end, you can break things. A microbass wouldn't have much fun with an Octave effect at volume...even my Eden WT800 farts if I push the Octave level too hard.
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, the distortion could be the amp, but it's clipping even geetar-signal. Plus it sometimes gives nasty crackle when octave kicks in.

I'm going to get a replacement, the webstore happens to have great customer support(which was kind of a surprise). If that handles similar way, then it must be my equipment causing the problem.
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I had the exact same problem with my octave pedal. I contacted the company that made it and was told that it was normal for an octave divider to have some delay in it. They told me it would work better on the higher notes. I said "Wrong answer!" and returned it.

EDIT: Mine wasn't an EBS though, it was Dunlop's MXR-88.
  9. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    a lot of stores these days match prices so u can probably get one for the same price without worrying about shipping.