Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octabass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Noknok, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Noknok

Noknok Guest

Nov 3, 2002
    Medford, Oregon USA
    I just got an Octabass effects peddle (emulates lower octives on same note) and i'm really impressed with the sound i get out of it... untill you try to hit a low note, it has a huge icky delay when i hit anything above an A, well... maybe B.

anybody experimented with one of these? I wanna know why i am getting this delay and if it's just the brand/peddle itself or Octabasses just suck on low notes.

The delay is long and it's just not livable, it gets shorter as you go to higher notes up till about A or B when you stop noticing.

(does this on both bass and guitar at same low notes.)

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

It is because it has to determine the frequency of the fundamental in order to synthesis the note. Lower notes have longer wavelenghts. So it takes more time to do this. Every octaver I have tried, including yours, does this. (Maybe the famous Eventide Harmonizers don't, but hey I haven't got 5G to drop on an octaver.)

3. Thats why i use a pitch shifter :) it has pretty much NO delay, and tracks perfectly to way down at the low B :)

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It's quite normal with any octaver, and the EBS one does as good as or better than other units. Some things to try that can improve the tracking:
    - Try playing closer to the neck
    - Turn up the bass knob a bit on your bass
    - Use a compressor in front of the Octabass

5. Noknok

Noknok Guest

Nov 3, 2002
    Medford, Oregon USA
    A pitch shifter??? does it work the same?