1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Octabvre vs new MXR vintage octave

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Dec 16, 2018.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Basically, I’m wondering if the new mini MXR vintage octave hold a candle to the octabvre, especially in terms of fully wet/sub only. I’m a big OC2 fan but the tone suck and tracking we’re killers for me. Octabvre is better but the sub only was slightly too peaky/mid heavy for my tastes.

Also considering a T 16 or used Broughctave if I can find one.

Driven Crane likes this.
  2. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    +

3. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

subb'd

4. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I find the new MXR VBO to be very very much like the OC-2 Without the Problems. I had the Octavbre and while it sounded good the VBO sounds Much more likt the OC-2 That I am comparing it to. IMHO I would guess that if you had both pedals and were to play through them and have someone else switching them back and forth you would not be able to tell the difference YMMV.

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    ++!!

6. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    hmm, might have to check one out. I'm surprised I havent seen more enthusiasm for these, given the price point and the fact that so many people love their OC2's but have been asking for an affordable and comparable alternative, without the tone suck and volume issues.

7. Darren R

Darren R

Sep 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here's a comparison video between the two that I found on Youtube (not mine).

8. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    thats a solidly done comparo. I have to say, for the size and cost the MXR is pretty sweet. I still like the functionality and tunability of the Octabvre better, but that MXR gives it a solid run for the money. And if space is a big concern, the answer is pretty straightforward.

9. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

you probably already saw this New MXR Vintage Bass Octave

10. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    man, I hadnt seen that, thanks!

PS, you can get one from Prymaxe right now, at 20% off, for like $128. dayum.

11. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    and thus I cannot help myself :D

GentProvocateur likes this.