1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Octabvre vs OC2 vs Broughctave vs the world

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Mar 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I have been a quest for an octave pedal. Had a vintage OC2. LOVED the classic sub (wet) tone, didnt care for the tracking or the tone suck when off, and didnt want to have to run a dedicated loop just for that effect.

So I tried an MXR BOD. Had it for about 4 minutes and said not thanks. Not much to love about this one, for my tastes and my setup.

So I bought an Octabvre, which is GREAT. Quiet, tracks beautifully, excellent controls. Except it doesnt quite do the awesomeness that the OC2 does. Its close, but not quite. to my ears its a little brassier and less smooth. More synth grit, less syrup. (YMMV).

Now I'm wondering if there's anything out there (Broughctave?) that can do the OC2 round tubby suboctave while tracking well and without tone suck when in bypass?

The only one that I'm curious to try (besides the Broughton) is the Octamizer, but that interest is solely based on the tones that Tony Grey gets with his, which may be part of a larger chain, or even his OC3, I'm not quite sure.

Just curious what peoples thoughts are on this holy grail rabbit hole

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Where is your tone knob set on the Octabrve?

I've been an OC-2 fan forever. I've got the Octabrve on my board though, for the same reasons you mention. I dig what it does for sure.

I also love the Octamizer. It's got a lot more bass than the OC-2 does. They're sort of in the same ballpark, but not quite.

3. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I've tried the tone on the Octabvres "wet" channel all over the dial, and havent found a tone that was warm enough to work. It has a GREAT sound, don't get me wrong, but I was able to fit the OC2 sub tone into a lot more settings than I seem to be able to get away with the Octabvre. It might also be something as simple as gain staging. If I'm hitting it too hard, it could be creating some artifact or overdriving the circuit.

noahw1 likes this.
  4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Dump the tone knob all the way to the left (CCW). It's sort of a dual circuit pedal, so anything left of 12:00 is in the OC-2 realm and anything to the right of 12:00 is Mutron.

Do you have the Tim tuning? I had an original Octabvre with the standard tuning and wasn't a fan at all. No low end and I felt the Sub was useless for what I do. I sold it and picked up a Mini which has the Tim tuning and it's exactly what I was hoping for when I read about it.

gunkle and Wallower like this.
  5. J.Wolf

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I have the new larger one (MkII?) So it has the tim tuning switch, and I find the up position (guessing thats activating the TT), way more desirable. My normal setting on the tone knob is somewhere between 7-9 oclock, so I'm gravitating towards the OC2 side for sure. Its a really great pedal, if I can get it a little less gritty I'd love to hang onto it.

Curious what the Broughctave is like compared to the OC2.

6. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I own the OC-2 and Tim Tuned Octabvre. And I used to own the Broughctave and original Octabvre.

In my opinion, the Tim Tuned Octabvre and Broughctave can each nail the OC-2 but with additional options.

I did not love the original Octabvre. Definitely preferred the OC-2.

I have not tried the Octabvre MKII but I would think it's exactly like the two I've used but in one unit.

7. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    I've heard that the cog pedals are pretty good at copping an oc2, but I've never tried one.

You could get your oc2 modded for true bypass, I don't know of anyone who specifically does a mod on the oc2 but there's plenty of people who do tbp mods on boss pedals I'm sure you could convince them.

You also might consider buying another one. My two were pretty different, as far as pedals that are supposed to be the same go. The first one was subbier, especially in the mix, but didn't track as well as the second one I got, that is, if memory serves.

petrus61 likes this.
  8. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX

t16..opt331x384o0%2C0s331x384. t47..opt352x372o0%2C0s352x372. t65..opt341x366o0%2C0s341x366. t70..opt401x367o0%2C0s401x367.

Frellin Smesh, GMC, arrowsun and 9 others like this.
  9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Came here to write exactly this! Octabvre Mini with the tone all the way left nails it for me. A big plus is the amount of volume on tap too, the OC-2 isn't really loud enough with the octave soloed, but this has crazy amounts of boost available.

I also owned a COG T16 at the same time so I could directly compare. The COG couldn't even come close and to copping that hollow square wave tone. It also felt very flat and compressed next to the spank-you-in-the-face punch of the Octabvre.

sillyfabe, Wallower and Dave W like this.
  10. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    I've A/B'd my OC2 against my mini Octabvre quite a bit. I generally agree that the OC2 is ever so slightly smoother and the subs have a little extra depth. In a band setting I don't notice the differences at all. In a recording I might prefer the OC2, maybe not. My favorite thing about the Octabvre is that it just has more headroom. On gigs the OC2 could be hard to hear.

Wallower, Ikkir and 40Hz like this.
  11. Si-bob

Si-bob

Jun 30, 2001
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    I made a video comparing the OC-2 and COG T16 (and a POG), I personally think the T16 pretty much nails that OC-2 tone. I start flipping between them at around 5:00

Use headphones!!
    Si

12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Haven't tried the Broughton yet. Tried the MXR and didn't like it. Tried the Octavr and found it not bad but still not my cuppa.

Own an old OC-2, and (so far) it's given me everything I've asked it for. I think it sounds marginally better than the OC-3. But I'll also agree with @Coughdrops that, in a band setting at normal stage volumes, the differences between the two wouldn't matter at all.

13. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't find any issues with the tone suck of the OC-2 to at all. I hear it with some old DOD pedals, but I think the Boss buffers are perfectly fine to me. I have a buffered loop I use as a master loop, but I find the OC-2 totally acceptable. And not only that, dialed in just ride. The Octamizer is great, but almost TOO punchy. OC-2 is just where it needs to be. They got lucky with that one.

And as you as say, YMMV

torza and Randy Ward like this.
  14. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California
    "A good bassist determines the direction of any band." - Ron Carter
    I will be buried with by 3Leaf Octabvre, Wonderlove, and Your'e Doom. Mini Moog bliss baby!

DirtyDuke, ccbass71, Wallower and 2 others like this.
  15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  16. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Valeton OC-10? Modern clone of the OC-2...

17. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor

Same. No tone suck and I look for such things in a studio with spectrum analyzer. I do run a tu2 in front which is a buffer. That may mitigate the tone suck. But honestly, I don't believe any exists.

torza and Hans Gruber like this.
  18. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    All Boss pedals have buffers if I recall correctly, but they're good transparent buffers to me. And sometimes I like them better just because sometimes true bypass can have a loud click, depending on the settings.

torza and AngelCrusher like this.
  19. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I really dig EBS Octabass. Tracks well and sounds natural to me.

20. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    My OC-2 (from '89) definitely has tone suck issues. I love the sound, but not the suck. I also have an Aguilar Octamizer, which can sound super close to my OC-2, without the tone suck. When set correctly, I doubt I could tell the difference.