Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

octal accessory sockets on power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by malibu, May 23, 2002.

1. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    some Crest power amps and maybe others (?) offer this 8-pin accessory socket -- what uses does it have ? -- particularly for bass, or otherwise.

crosssovers, or, a transformer for converting to balanced input signal, or, tubes for other signal processing prior to power amp stage ?

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Crest used to offer a series of accessories back in the early to mid 90's, like an input isolation transformer, a power limiter, a crossover (which took up both sockets), et al. QSC did, too, from the late 80's through the early 90's, for the octal sockets on Series One and Series Three amps.

Crest's NexSys (a computer control/monitor system for power amps) system also used an interface module that plugged into the octal sockets.

3. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Yep. I have a QSC model 1700 with those and have the compressor modules in it. Neat idea. If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Peavey started that with his ugly old CS-800 amps. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Somewhere in my cerebral cobwebs, that rings a bell. I think you're right.