1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Octave and compressor order

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by toblerone24, Jun 2, 2014.

1. toblerone24

toblerone24

Jan 10, 2014
    I'm changing up my pedalboard and new order will probably be:

TC Electronic Polytune > Boss OC-2 > W&C Tall Font Russian fuzz > Darkglass Vintage Microtubes overdrive > Diamond compressor > MXR Carbon Copy

Would anyone recommend changing my order of effects? Still not sure if compressor should be BEFORE octave to help tracking, but I like having it after my fuzz/drive cos I tend to leave it always on and it seems to sound better that way

2. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    It seems of putting compressor first be better.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I've tried both and for the longest time I used the compressor first in line, but recently I went the opposite way and now my compressor lives at the end, and I like it much better. My octavers (OC-2 and EBS Octabass) track really well for me regardless of whether I have the compressor in front or not, and I like how effects react to an uncompressed signal much better. Envelope filters and overdrives/distortions are sensitive to input level, and in my experience they like a dynamic signal. Plus having the compressor at the end keeps everything in check.

4. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    I like my compressor up front. Seems to help (maybe it's just in my head) a bit with tracking. But I use my comp on an very select occasions. So it doesn't sully my OD's or anything else.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My favorite order is octave first, compressor on my office shelf.

:D

Try it both ways and see which one you like best.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    My octave is first, then comp, then everything else.

7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I go compressor -> octave -> OD/dirt -> filter -> modulation -> delay/reverb

Seems to work pretty well. And my filter loves having the compressor first. My octaves (Mutron and OC-2) seem to track pretty well either way.