1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Octave-bass exercise, relight my fire

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Andi Mertens, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Andi Mertens

Andi Mertens

Dec 16, 2020

Torrente Cro likes this.
  2. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    I don't think I've ever played a Take That song. I mean forget bass, just ever pressed play to listen to a Take That song ;)

Carwash is my fave octave gay anthem :D

3. This’ll get your fingers going....

4. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    Toronto,
    Whoa! I’ve always thought ”Carwash" as a commentary on life as an unskilled worker in the underclass. There is a non-cis character in the movie, of course, and one can let one’s imagination run wild about a group of young men spraying each other with hot, sudsy water, of course...
    But maybe we’re thinking about different songs?

5. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    Yeah agree, but it's a huge anthem in the UK gay club scene along!

Reg Braithwaite likes this.
  6. Reg Braithwaite

Reg Braithwaite

Oct 21, 2018
    Toronto,
    Wonderful! I’ll relocate it in my mental collection to be right next to “Aint No Stopping Us Now,” “I’m Coming Out,” and everything recorded by Sylvester and/or Two Tons of Fun.

7. Acidic Pool

Acidic Pool

Feb 16, 2021
    God I find this style so difficult. It sounds cool tho! Have played "Miss You" by the Stones and "Ain't Livin Long Like This" by Waylon in a couple bands and I get worn out after like 16 bars! Eventually started juicing the amp and incorporating my thumb in a more "guitar fingerpick-y/banjo roll (kinda)" technique. Or the ultimate cheat is ONLY playing the offbeats ;)

kevindahl likes this.
  8. Andi Mertens

Andi Mertens

Dec 16, 2020
    And another great exercise i made today.

9. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    Try (Don't) Give Hate a Chance by Jamiroquai. Great octave workout!

10. kevindahl

kevindahl

Aug 21, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I find it challenging as well. I played Do You Think Im Sexy and it was painful. Recently I have changed to using my thumb on the bottom note, much easier.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021