1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Octave Down reviews

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cabo, Jun 13, 2018.

1. cabo

cabo

Nov 22, 2007
    I see a few octave pedals mentioned quite a bit here and thought some people might find this useful. I wont go crazy in depth, just some general observations. Please chime in with any additions

and fwiw I mostly use active 5 strings and use oct down for single note use and these reviews reflect this. Starting with the ones I have in no real order:

Valeton OC10- I havent had a OC2 in over a decade but this reminds me of the Boss, glitchy character and all only smaller. Very well constructed and the easiest to hit on/off switch for a mini pedal. Cheap and easy to get.

Cog T16 v2- Sounds as advertised. Loud and full, tracks wonderful, tight and fast. I use one on my guitar board too. The way I have it set it reminds me alot of the Mooer Tender Octaver v1 but louder and punchier. I dont really use the potential OC settings but its tighter than the Valeton when set that way.

Mooer Tender Octaver v1- Very clean sounding, tracks great and has decent output. Has that POG vibe. Combined with a Slow Engine it gives a nice bowed upright sound. Ive not tried the v2.

Broughton Synth Voice- Probably my fav of the bunch for bass. Tracking is great, sounds is top notch. Clean, fat, warm and smooth. Doesnt fair well with guitar tho.
    The video on the website sold me on it and is very accurate representation of it.

Broughton Broughctave- Kinda raunchy in comparison to the Synth Voice. It cant get quite loud too. Not that I use it much but I like the dirty channel best. I can get a pretty unique sound out of it, hard to describe. I find myself constantly tweaking this one more than any others. Lots of variation but I cant seem to settle on permanent settings.

Eventide Pitchfactor- Been my main oct down pedal for a long time(until Synth Voice and T16). No tracking issues, not overly digital sounding imo, has some gritty character. Plus alot of other cool sounds in that box. Kinda big for 1 main effect use but its been on my board forever.

DOD Meatbox and Mantic Destiny Hulk- I wouldnt really recommend these for oct down sounds unless you have some sub woofer action happening. If you do, these are room shakers but I find the playability range is kinda narrow and tracking could be more consistant. Again they dont get fully justified imo without a serious sub

Ones I no longer have:

Bass Whammy- Ive always like the whammy but the size it too much for just using oct down. Plus I always felt like it could have used more output on that setting.

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe- Probably the first octave pedal I had specific for bass. Very popular probably for reasons Im sure but Ive was always under whelmed by it. Maybe I need to give it another go or try the Sub Octave or Sub Machine

Mutron Octave Divider(70s version)- Loved the sound and function of this one. It would nail that classic funky sound. Tracking was decent but didnt go real low from what I recall. Sounded great with guitar too. The age and size were a deterrent. Looking forward to trying the new mini version.

Foxrox Octron 2- Sounded like the Mutron to me but was overkill for my oct down use. I also really prefered this one on guitar than bass.

Boss OC2- maybe the most documented so I wont say much and its been a long time since I owned one. I will say that Im very happy that there is now some other offerings that take what I didnt like about it and really improved on it.

Id still like to try the 3 Leaf Octabvre but very content with the Cog and Broughton for now. Im sure theres some others worth trying too, feel free to list them up.

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    The octave down on the Digitech Drop is pretty good, probably pretty similar to what you said about the Whammy in a smaller package.

3. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    VERY NICE WORK, MAN!

4. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Ever try the EHX Multiplexer? Pretty simple but interesting analog circuit, there's a dirt cheap chinese clone out as well called the Black Hurricane by Eleca. First stand alone octaver I've tried and I've been digging it so far.

Inconnu likes this.
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Once i got the latest 3Leaf with Tim tuning i never think about any other ocataves

6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I know how you feel. Once I got my Broughton Synth Voice, Broughctave, Mutron Clone, and Line 6 bass octaver model (m5 and now Hx Effects), I never think about any other octavers.

7. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    i use H9 (harpeggiator) for octave down. but i would try others.

8. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    It is a nice octave. Having the separate sub octave is really special. The pedal is very much like the OC2 in sound and tracking.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 9:59 AM
  9. cabo

cabo

Nov 22, 2007
    3 leaf looks tempting!

Anyone have experience with the Iron Ether Subterrennea?

Never tried the ehx Multiplexer, cant say I ever even thought about it before you mentioned it. It doesnt seem to get alot of talk

10. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Yeah it seems somewhat obscure. Cool circuit though, the dual filters is a nice feature. Lets you dial in a nice range of bass/treble heavy sounds.

It can cut/boost volume at some settings, but some people tried a mod to add an output boost/volume control to fix that.

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Palmer Unterton seems really good too. Especially at that price.

12. The SubT is interesting and different. Tracking is comparable to the OC2, but maybe not down as far.
    As near as I can tell it has an OC2-like octave down and also a PLL synth running in parallel.
    It's both more raw and more complex than the OC2.

I like it OK but it kind of falls between the OC2 and Mothership2 so doesn't get a lot of play time.

13. It's worth mentioning the Joyo Ocho, which is a pretty good OC2 clone.
    Not perfect but pretty close.

I'm liking several of the cheap and tiny micro-Joyos.

14. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Funk Not Only Moves, It Removes"
    My favorite for a couple of years was the 3Leaf Octabvre (Tim tuned.) Then I had to get a Cog Effects T16 (version 2). As much as I liked the 3Leaf, I ended up preferring the T16, but both are outstanding analog octavers. I don't like digital octavers. But I loved the T16 so much I wanted to step up to the next Cog Effect level, so I bought a T-65, which is my all-time favorite now.