Octave Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alexssandro, May 4, 2001.

1. Yesterday, I plugged into an Ampeg (B-5R I think). The octave effect was set to full. I didn't even know the amp had that feature so when I started to play, I was surprised. I really like that sound. It reminds me of the bass solo sound on "Cape Fear" by the Dave Weckl Band.

I liked that Ampeg octave effect sound a lot. I've tried some octave pedals before and I didn't really care for them as much. They sounded too synthentic for me. But the built in Ampeg effect sounded really sweet. Really beefed up the sound for soloing.

Can anyone recommend a good octave effects unit? For anyone who knows, I'm looking for that "Cape Fear" solo sound.
  2. jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    The octave on the B5R is really good, but as far as getting that sound out of a pedal try the EBS Octabass. It is the best pedal I've heard. The Boss really kinda sucks.
  3. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    EBS octabass or there is a really good octaver on the Deep Impact (you have to program it a bit) which tracks down to E quite happily - don't know if it will go lower as thats where my bass runs out of strings...

Or then there is the Ashdown harmoniser (another amp with it built in)
  4. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    Is the harmonizer like a octaver?
  5. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Yes, but it seems to be a bit better than most octaver pedals - both in tracking and sound quality.
  6. shagEb

shagEb Guest

Apr 14, 2001
    USA, Polkville NC

I agree, I got one about 4 weeks ago and it is a great pedal.
  7. I know this is gonna sound lame,and I'm not comparing the EBS to it(because there is no comparison),but I gotta share it with all of you..considering price,one of the best octave pedals I've tried was the danelectro "chili dog".IMO it was better than the dod and as good as boss in terms of sound and tracking..not built like a tank like the boss(actually quite flimsy in construction)...but it sells for around $35(u.s.).for a mini pedal at that price I was very impressed.I heard some bad stuff about the mini line from Dano but this little pedal rocks..I would suggest this for anyone who never tried an octave pedal before because you won't be out a lot of cash if you decide you don't like it...btw, it's a pink pedal, which you may or may not like..nothing a little black duct tape could'nt fix ;)
  8. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Does'nt the octaver change your pitch? (lower or higher) If that is'nt so what is the difference beteen 1 of these and a pitchshifter?
  9. an octaver produces a sound 1 (or 2) octaves below the fundemental (your clesn sound) and blends it back with your clean sound..so you hear two notes at the same time..