Octave Pedal - 4 what???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phil Smith, Nov 22, 2000.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Greetings folks, last christmas I got an EBS Octave pedal and used it one time to briefly check it out, and then put it back in the box where it's been ever since. What type of stuff do you use it for?

2. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I,m speaking a little out of my element. I caught The Red Hot Chillie Peppers this fall at the Shorline to check out Flea, (who, in his childhood must have played Cello), stomped on somthing which took his Bass down a register. Along with the thirty-six PA subwoofers was moving way more air than even Lee Micheals. And this was outdoors. Which brings me to my question.

Does any body know what Flea uses for an octaver? Or which octaver works very good?
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Phil -

I have a Boss octaver and I use it to fatten lines I play on my fretless. It can be very expressive in some circumstances. My boss pedal works well, but I believe the ebs (which I'd gladly take off your hands, Phil) is the best one on the market, and it has a price tag to match.

Will C.:cool:
  4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Now BW you know I can't sell a gift I got from my girlfriend. ;)
  5. For Fleas childhood, all I can say is that he played the trumpet, not the cello. :) And for what effects he uses live, here is a pic that shows Californication tour setup:

What do we see here? Well from left to right:
    Dunlop Bass Wah, Boss Bass Overdrive, dont know that little grey box with one knob, and an Electro Harmonix Q-tron.

Maybe it helped someone out?! :)
  6. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    that to me looks like an MXR Micro amp. i had a friend that acquired one from an old old recording guy/guitarist from britain. we used it as a preamp for some home recordings awhile back. he probably uses it for extra gain when slapping or maybe to make the qtron really bust through.
  7. geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    You'd think Flea would have a pedal board nicer than simple gray carpeting and ::does a double take:: duct tape!

Some people... ;)

8. is that flea's trick?
    he doesn't even plug his pedals together?
  9. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Maybe his bass tech just doesn't want to change batteries every night...