Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave pedal "cutting out"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BertBert, Mar 31, 2004.

1. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    My wife got me a Boss OC-2 octave pedal for Christmas and I really like playing with it. But I noticed that it has a tendency to cut in and out of playing the additional octave whenever I play a note that's longer than a quarter note. It sounds almost like there's a short or a wiring problem in the pedal -- I'll strike the note and you'll hear the root+octave but then it switches erratically in and out of the octave. I have noticed this too on an amp that had a built-in octave effect.

Is this normal? Is there any way to get a more consistent sound from the pedal on longer notes?

BTW, The pedal itself is brand new and the battery is new. And I am playing only with the first octave below the note -- the second octave is turned all the way off.

2. 'tis the nature of the octave pedal i'm afraid.

one thing that might help is to put a compressor before the ocatve pedal to feed the octaver a little more solid of a signal with longer sustain. i think your problem is when your notes start to decay, the octaver doesn't have a stong enough signal to track correctlym, so as a reaction it "warbles" as it tries to calculate what pitch it is suppose to double.

3. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes, sell the OC-2 and pick up a Digitech Bass Synth Wah.

Awesome Octave effect as well as very cool "useful" synth effects.

Seroiusly, you can hold whole notes with no degradation of sound or cutting out.

The OC-2 sounds really good, but not being able to hold a note longer bothers me.

4. true. different makes behave differently. in general, you should not expect reliable tracking below the lowest B or Bb on a 4 string. i've been through a number of octavers and here are my thoughts:

Boss OC-2: Overall decent....after all is was sort of the standard for awhile....however as far as tracking, it did ok, but i've had better.

Danelectro (can't remember the model- one of the mini pedals): good for the money, never the less, you get what you pay for.

Boss GT-6B: I like it. it's a little synthy, but very fat and it tracks the best of all i've tried so far. it will go down to A if you play it on the E string with conviction.

Ashdown ABM-500 Head: Has a built in sub octave that tracks better then all but the GT-6B. It also has the warmest and most natural tone of any octavers i've heard yet.

some to try that i haven't yet:

sincity seems pretty happy with his digitech.

also the EBS octave is supposed to be really good....and if the EBS Unichorus is any indication, then it probably is.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It is good, but for $80 you can pick up the Digitech which is the best tracking octaver our there. Better than the EBS