Octave Pedal for Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by great4fish, Jul 16, 2013.

1. What is a good Bass octave pedal for $120-

2. You're not the first to ask this, so the search function is your friend here. But there are many popular pedals, and I'll assume you're asking about octave down pedals for the most part:

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
    Boss OC-2 and OC-3
    EBS OctaBass
    Iron Ether Subterranean
    EHX POG, HOG, Micro-POG
    Coplilot FX Cubic

There are others as well. The search is your friend here.

3. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Richfield, Ohio
    My vote would be the MRX Bass Octave Deluxe.

4. As mentioned above, there are a ton if threads about this. But I'll add some for your consideration: Aguilar Octamizer, Gojira Octaver. But really depends on the sounds and features you're looking for. They all have their own personalities.

5. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I think the OC has horrible tracking. I haven't tried all the rest but my vote goes to the Pog.

6. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd have to disagree about the OC-2 having terrible tracking. It all depends where you play on the neck and where the pedal is in your chain. I think if it's first in the chain and you don't play below B on the 7th fret of the E string, the thing sounds MIGHTY.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have the MXR BOD. I recommend against it. Not because it's a bad pedal, it's not, but there are much better. The BOD only octaves down and the tracking is sketchy. I would look at a POG.

8. dwjazz54

dwjazz54

Jan 21, 2003
    Jersey City, NJ
    I have to agree - no problems with the tracking on my OC-3!

9. I think it must be a technique thing (not good vs. bad, but just different playing techniques) but when I play my BOD I can get it to track down to the the F on the E string perfectly every time, and the E will also track but will glitch after a few seconds. It is the best ANALOG octaver for tracking I find.

10. i love my micro pog.

11. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I've had two OC-2's and they both not only tracked bad, but they sounded bad too. Maybe it's just my experience? I dunno.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Pog and Micro Pog track great and do chords but I'm not a big fan of the down octave. Too thin. I like a big fat low octave, and for me, nothing does it like the OC-2. Sounds so good I live with its tracking limitations. Some stuff is just that good.

13. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Yep, another vote for the OC2. Big fat analog low end.

14. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Look for a used EBS OctaBass.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    There was someone here on a very similar thread who shared their settings for the BOD, which made the tracking better. I still wouldn't use it much below the low G though. Could be technique. The places I tend to use it are songs I dig in on and play with a pick.

16. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    Ditto. Wasn't a fan. I do like my Octron 2, but it's over budget. I'd vote for a used EBS.

17. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Aguilar Octamizer is the answer to your question.

18. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Octron sounds sweet, but man is that thing expensive......
    Does it do the synth thing as well as the OC2??

19. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    I picked mine up in the classifieds. As far as a synth-thing, I don't know. I try to dial it in to always be the cleanest representation of my sound an octave lower. The octave up sounds great on my fretless (5-er strung E-C), adding a little grind to the mix, but I use it sparingly.

20. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

Another vote for the MXR BOD. Honorable mention to the Digitech Bass Synth Wah, if digital is your thang.