1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Octave pedal instead of low B?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Apr 17, 2010.

1. For years I have been trying to find a 5 string bass that sounds like my 74 fender jazz. I got really close but whenever I pick up the Jazz, it's tone heaven so I decided to mainly play it instead of the 5s.
    I do have a D tuner so that helps but I miss the notes below D and I'm wondering if I could not fake it with an octave pedal.Maybe even if I just dialed in the octave below just a little bit, it might seem like I have the fatness of a 5 string.I think Ashdown has a feature like that on one of their amps.
    I have never used an octave pedal so I'm not sure if it would work for what I'm trying to do.

2. It won't be the same. No octaver faithfully reproduces the sound of a plucked note on the bass. For the most part effects are there to modify existing sounds not be the originators of the sound itself. If you're just looking to fatten up your sound a bit an octaver is a great idea but getting one to hit the low notes doesn't sound like it would get you very far. Personally, I think you should find a nice 5 string jazz or find a 4 string and tune it BEAD (if you don't use the G string that much).

3. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    +1 to Kwesi

There are a ton of threads on exactly this subject and no one goes away satisfied. The answer is just to buy a 5 string and live with it.

4. Kwesi is correct it will not sound like a plucked string but it might work well for you, try an octaver or pitch shifter and see. There is a song where a low B and C# really add a lot so I find myself using an octaver setting for the whole song just playing the bass line an octave higher, it sounds sort of synthy/organ bass but it fits. I also use a pitch shifter on occasion to get those lo notes dropping a whole step or a 4th for a pseudo 5 string sound, it's closer to the string sound but still not as good as a 5 string. In my experience it works for parts that don't need a lot of rhythmic drive- a ballad or something where the bass is just holding down the bottom with long notes. Because either can get glitchy with fast notes of if you don't hit them all precisely, ghost notes sound squelchy.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Another voice agreeing with the above. I tried it several years ago, big fail. got a 5 string, didn't like it, now I have one bass tuned D standard, but was originally BEAD. Found I didn't need lower than the D anyway.

6. Thanks guys.I figured I would get the answers that you gave me.I'm not totally up on the latest effects and I was hoping that maybe something new is out that might do the trick.
    I do have a few really nice 5 string Jazz Basses. A Moon a Atelier Z and a completely customized former KSD. All of them get really close to the sound of my Jazz and nobody in the audience would know the difference. But still there is nothing like playing a mid 70s Jazz.
    I will probably have to start bringing two basses.Then again, I played a gig with just the Jazz last night. It did the job,was a whole lot of fun to play and nobody complained about not having the low B.