Octave Pedal - Octave Up

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FlawLaw, Nov 15, 2004.

1. I am looking for a pedal that has an octave up features - any suggestions?
  2. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Akai Unibass if you can find one. Akai is currently not making them anymore, but they show up time to time ont he used market.
  3. you can also get the boss PS-5 pitchshifter...thats a pretty cool effect
  4. snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    I purchased the Danelectro French Toast after looking around for something that would do that on a (low) budget about three years ago. As cheap as they are, you may want to try one out, but these things are fairly limited for bass in my experience (i.e. it has never given me a sound good enough to be played live). Again, they are cheap, and you can get a fun distortion out of them with the octave up turned off. I believe these are supposed to be clones of Jimi Hendrix's Tycobrahe (sp?), but I have never heard anyone play guitar through it, so I couldn't say. I would speculate that they will sound much better with a guitar though. What sound are you trying to get with this octave up effect? I thought it would help pop out some harmonics, but I now know that is what lots of money and preamps and multiple cabs and amps are for (oh, and good fingers, still don't have those either...).
  5. Thanks for the help. I want to use it with a Baritone guitar/bass that I have for soloing.
  6. snake:>~

Apr 11, 2000
    Hmm, well it would probably work better for that. They go for $20 used (actually mine was only $28 new from the local music store), so give it a shot.
  7. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    An interesting little effect, to be sure. Definitely fun to put around with for $20, and with the octave off, it's a decent little fuzz, although not especially well-suited for bass. However, the tracking on the octave is bad enough to be unusable, unless you want to make weird robot sounds. Which is fun sometimes. But if you're looking to get an octave up to round out your band's sound, I wouldn't suggest the Dano.

8. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    The Digitech whammy can do that. Oh course, it also does alot more
  9. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
  10. that thing looks like it would be kick arse to have to diddle around with.. probably make some really funky sounds...
  11. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Yeah, I was thinking that too.
  12. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I recently bought the "Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz" from aNaLoG.MaN. It is supposedly a clone of the Maestro Bass Brass Master. It is a classic octave up/distortion pedal, like the Roger Mayer or Tycho Brahe Octavia.

I think the reason I bought it was similar to yours: I have the Fender Japan Jaguar Bottom Master and wanted to be able to get more upper range out of it. At first I was disappointed with the Black Cat, since all I could get out of it was a really thin, annoying buzzing fuzz and no upper octave! But I finally figured out how to do it - you basically need to keep the gain down - I have it at about 10 o'clock. I've got both switches down (towards the knobs). Having done some research on Octavia style pedals, I knew that it was only going to work on notes above the 12th fret, plus I read somewhere that it helps to turn the tone knob down for some reason. I get a nice (to my ears) almost ring-modulator sounding upper octave! It doesn't sustain much, though - if there isn't enough gain, the note fizzles to nothing pretty quick (which is fine with me), but with enough finger/wrist vibrato it sounds good on its way out.

You can find the pedal here - it's on the expensive side - almost $200 if you buy it direct from aNaLoG.MaN - try one out first if you can! I don't know if other Octavia type effects would work with "traditional" 6-string basses/baritones - the good thing with the Black Cat is that you can mix in the direct signal as well.

I guess I should point out too that this is an analog style effect, as opposed to a digital pitch-shifter type of thing - no tracking issues - it's all analog electronic manipulation of the signal! Not sure what the original poster was looking for...
  13. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    I bought the Boss ME50b for the compressors and drives but was hoping that the octave up would come in handy. Unfortunatly the tracking, whilst acurate, is slow and cannot be used for fast passages as I would like.

However I have found that I can get an interesting sound by playing chords and adding a little distortion to the octave only. It sounds kind of 'warbly'. I might even have a song I could use it with.

Is there an octave out there which tracks really fast? Speed isn't such a problem if you want to beef up slow notes but making fast notes jump out is what most people want an octave up for it seems.
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Seconding the Unibass. No tracking delay, no hum or noise, great distortion and clean sounds and build like a tank.
  15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    If you want a clean octave, nothing beats the Digitech Whammy (original or reissue; avoid the rest) or the new EH POG. The POG sounds more realistic, while the Whammy makes some interesting digital crunchy noises that are quite pleasing.

If you're looking for an octave fuzz, check out the Prescription Electronics COB or the ZVex Octane (passive basses only on that one).
  16. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I finally recorded a clip with the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz. Fender Japan Jaguar Bottom Master 6-string bass, regular bass part is played with fingers, both pickups, and the high part is pick, neck pickup with tone rolled off. When I listen to it again, I realize I didn't quite get the octave as prominently as I have in the past, but oh well! Drums courtesy Greg DeGuglielmo.

btw, FlawLaw, did you ever find something?
  17. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I want to see one of the new POGs. The pitch up or down is suppose ot be configurable. I found a sound while playing with digital effects on my computer that I'd like to find an analog version of. It's a clean signal chorused into 2 voices. One voice stays clean, the other goes up any pitch, preferably an octave. Add three voices you can do auto chords with a configurable pitch. Then the ability to blend the voices together. This way it will sound like a couple of different guitars playing at the same time.

Other than finding a diy octave up or pitch selector schematic the rest needed to create such a thing exists. So I might make a blender/chorus where each voice will have an effect in and out jack to apply a seperate pedal to that voice.

I am thinkin of basing the chorus part on the Zombie Chorus schematic. But on the two "voices" do something lik ethe Bass Paralooper from moosapotamus website to blend the voices together and put an effect in and out on the clean signal.

For now I might just get an octave up pedal instead of trying to find a way to make one. There's not really anything in the DIY world for a clean octave up.