Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Octave pedal: one or two out there these days.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rockin John, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Always swore I'd never buy an effects pedal. It's just not my thing: OK for g/tar but not for bass......

Anyway, took the vintage Fender Precision fretless into the dealer for a try out on the Ashdown EVO head. I was massively impressed by the octaver on the (pre)amp. It happened almost by mistake. The knob was turned up when I tried the amp.

Unfortunately I can't afford the amp so I might... just might... look for an octave pedal. I've tried none so far but have looked over reviews on the web.

I wondered whether there's any wisdom on the subject. At one end of the spectrum there's the Behringer pedal @ about £15 in UK. At the other end there's the Boss OC3, the Ashdown pedal + a couple of others at about £90.

Thoughts on the matter please. :)

Ta.

John

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    If you liked the one on the amp, why not go for the effect by the same company (ashdown)...

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've got a Digitech Bass Synth Wah, it's one of the best octavers I've heard. It's also got several other modes other than octave that you could mess around with. It's around $80 US new, I believe.

The only other one I know of it the MXR Bass Octave, I haven't heard too great of things about it.

Oh, and I think (I may be wrong on this) that Ashdown is going to be releasing a bass octaver of their own within a few months, so you might want to wait for that :)

-Dash

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    There's a Behringer Bass Octave pedal? I need it if it exists.
    Does it?

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    EDIT: superbassman2000 posted before me :spit: (i'm too slow :bawl:)

6. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    $80? nice, i'm not 100% sure what kind of sound it makes, but if it is what i think it is then i like that sound aswell, can someone tell me the kind of efect this pedal does?

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Does a bunch of filter/synth stuff

8. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    never mind i no what it is now, i remember ages ago i wanted one of these, so with one of these can i get more or less the same sound as light up the night? or sir pycho sexy, and the octave effect is what jason newstead uses on his little solo thing right? and u can get that effect on the Digitech Bass Synth Wah aswell?

9. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    The Behringer Ultra Octaver is decent, you get your 20 bucks worth. It has 3 frequency settings.

10. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I haven't tried the Digitech (Specs and samples http://www.digitech.com/products/BassSW.htm)

Others I have tried are the Boss OC-2 (the OC-3s older brother), which was OK but didn't track very well below a 'C', but if you were careful you could get an 'A' or 'B' flat out of it. The best one I've tried is the EBS Octabass. Didn't seem to have quite as artificial a sound as some others, and tracked very well.

By far the worst I've (tried) to use is the 'Ultrabass' effect in my (studio bound) Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro. Pure poo.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The feature that you liked on the Ashdown amp is offered in a foot pedal effect version(with a few more options)from Ashdown,They are not in the states yet but should be arriving very soon but I will have mine a little sooner(I'm waiting on mine).

12. the ashdown octave bass pedal is gonna be released at the end of march, and it has more than the octave too, i think it has sweep or something or distortion on it, or maybe thats the chorus pedal, i dont know. but if you can afford it and money's no issue i'd definately go with the ashdown

13. you are getting an octave divider?

going even lower than the low C#?

if anyone ever hits the brown note, its going to be you jauqo :)

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

:)

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
  16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Depends...

If you want an octaver that "almost" works, then just pick any one of the half-baked attempts that have been on the market forever.

For one that "actually" works, look to the POG, then stop looking.

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If there ever was a good reason to buy a *cheap* pedal, it's this one.

In our whole repetoire, I need it on - one tune.
    I don't expect this to change.

So, if anyone has actual experience with the Behringer octaver with a bass, please post.

18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    For the cost of it, why don't you just buy it and try it out yourself????