Octave pedal preference

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassplayertom77, Feb 23, 2023.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Boss OC-2 is a classic.

I liked MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, it gets close to OC-2 and you can get fatter, more natural sounding tones. I found it didn't track fast runs quite that well though.

3Leaf Octabvre MKIII is hands down the best analog octaver I've used. Fantastic tracking, more volume on tap, tone shaping abilities from OC-2 like tone to a Mutron like tone (and everything in between). Not to mention you can easily kill the dry tone and have the sub tone only and it has its own volume control. It's a keeper for me.

Admiral Chew likes this.
  2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Another vote for SA C4. OC-5 comes in second, though the C4 tracks a lot better in my experience.

deepestend likes this.
  3. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    I used to have three analogue octavers, these days I have a Source Audio C4 (my main goto octave), a EHX Hog2 (that I never use for octave sounds) and an Eventide H9 for a really nice fat and smooth digital octave sound.

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I had a Boss OC2 many years ago and it's a classic as already said.
    Never used the EBS but I like what I hear.
    I currently use the MXR BOD. Gets very close to the OC2 or EBS and everywhere in between.
    I did try the Agular a few years ago at a trade who and liked the tone and the way the tilt EQ works but as I already had the MXR I couldn't justify getting it.

5. nanbanpapa

nanbanpapa

Feb 19, 2020
    Vienna, AT
    I had the MXR and I have a Boss OC-5. Both great pedals.
    • The MXR, for me, is really great for a kind of Snarky Puppy octave sound, by blending octave and clean.
    • The Boss OC-5 also gives you such sound, but also the synthy OC-2 octave down. Plus other features such as octave up (+1) and polyphonic mode. Thus it is very versatile.

I also have the SA C4 synth which is a hell of a pedal and gives you many more options. The downside is that it has a steeper learning curve.

6. For good tracking clean octave sounds, the Markbass Octave is fantastic. The EBS is pretty good too.

Otherwise, the Boss OC-2 does that synth-like sound so well.

7. Kawai2g4b

Kawai2g4b

Oct 7, 2018
    Texas
    Good choice, the Octamizer is still probably my favorite analog octave pedal that’s attainable.

8. albertus

albertus

Jan 26, 2016
    MADRID, SPAIN
    another one that has the Octamizer having tried some others. love this one

9. _One//Man//Mutiny_

_One//Man//Mutiny_ Gold Supporting Member

Out of what you’re looking at Boss OC5 is hard to beat at that price point! I may use some of the more expensive pedals that are being mentioned, but that OC5 really can cover a lot of ground. It’s what I put on my small pedal board for things where I can’t bring the mothership!

10. _Obra_

_Obra_

Feb 22, 2011
    Novi Sad
    I have changed quite a lot in the past few years, and this is my opinion about few of them.
    I need both octave up and down, so I never tried Boss OC-2 or similar ones that doesn't have an octave up.

TC Sub'N'Up Mini
    Didn't like it from the day one. Bad tracking, annoying octave up sound, muddy octave down sound. Sold it after two weeks.

Boss OC-5
    It was pretty interesting when I bought it for the first time. Nice poly options for playing chords. Good tracking, mostly synth like sound, but I wanted a sound particularly in the octave UP that sound like a bass guitar - not a synth, so I sold it (foolishly)

Then I discovered the Digitech Bass Whammy
    Octave Up and Down sounds like a bass guitar - not synth like. Good enough tracking and a tons of other possibilities next to octave. It really inspire my playing with it's possibilities. There's just one bad thing - You can not control the volume of engaged octave. If You for example using normal octave + octave Up, the volume is 50/50, and octave Up sounds too loud for my taste. It's still on my board, but lacking an octave volume control, I bought another one on my list.

Electro Harmonix Pitch Fork
    I finally got the volume control for engaged octaves, sound that is not synth like, and that's mostly it.
    I thought I could replace my Whammy with Pitch fork + expression pedal and have it all in one (two with an expression), but no. Pitch fork does not have a poly mode, so playing more than one note is not possible. Also Whammy does a much better job with pitching notes down, so Pitch Fork is now for sale.

I'm keeping my Whammy with lot of possibilities and octaves that sounds like a bass guitar, not synth.
    In a lack of volume controls for octaves on Whammy I will again buy an Boss-OC5 which will also give me an synth like sound, so I'll have it all.....at least I think so :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  11. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    Full on dub reggae fatness and analog synth bass style things - dang, this could be a life saver for me. Looks like I should give this pedal a go!

Edit: Given that the OC-2 is discontinued, will the current OC-5 do it?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  12. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    got an OC-2 since forever, don't need anything else.

13. ThomasTronics

ThomasTronics

Nov 21, 2011
    Ontario
    I use a OC2 for down and EH POG for up an octave

C741 likes this.
  14. Parzival

Parzival Stay Tuned! Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Alabama
    Just got an OC-5 recently and it is great.

15. Jazzjames

Jazzjames

Oct 24, 2015
    Essen, Germany
    I use a Zeus Redwitch for my OC-2 imitation sounds (no dry signal), which is great. I have an OC-2 as well, but it’s too sensitive to voltage (maybe my power supply isn’t as stable as it could be) so it stays at home. I still use and enjoy it though.

For octave down supporting the dry signal, I use the old MXR M-88 bass octave. Works great and is built like a tank.

All three track well, you’ve just gotta play cleanly and work out what’s the lowest note you can/want to play.

Also owned: 3leaf Octabvre mk1. Was good, but the form factor was annoying, plus the Tim tuning versions sounded more ballsy. Sold it to fund something else.

Aguilar Octamizer. Also very good. Big pedal (V1). Didn’t do the OC-2 thing, and sounded in practise too similar to the MXR, so I sold it.

If I were looking for my first octave pedal, I’d go for the OC-5 or the MXR M-280 bass octave mini. They both do the OC-2 thing well, and the MXR is tiny and well made.

16. IE Subterranea or the Aggie pedal for me.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Inactive

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
    my favorite octave pedals

fall-22 (102).JPG

18. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Between the Octamizer and the OC5, I can get put much every octave sound I need.

19. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Love me some octave! Although it looks like the OP has made a decision, I'll post my thoughts for posterity. Here is what I've had/currently have:

EBS Octabass - this is my #1. Just a solid meat and potatoes octave. Sounds just like your bass tone and tracks great (for me). Add to that the low/mid/high settings to where you want the octave effect to be situated, always worked well for me. Doesn't do the OC-2, sub synth thing that well if you're looking for that tone.

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe - I did like the design on this one and enjoyed the different voicings but oddly the tracking wasn't that great......on the higher notes. Tracked great down low but when I moved up the neck it was glitch-city. Kind of the opposite than what you'd expect.

Aguilar Octamizer - very cool pedal with great functionality. Really liked the gritty synth like tone when bumping the octave voicing up. I just found the low end to dominate the pedal.....like a lot. Sometimes you need a little mids to help things from getting too muddy.

MXR Vintage Bass Octave - nice octave for that OC-2 like sound but with better tracking, more volume and the added Mid button to help out in the mix. I use this for more of a effect type octave sound if that makes any sense. It's small form factor is easy enough to find a place on any board.

3 Leaf Audio Octabvre Mini - I really love this pedal......a lot. Tracks great, has a sound that really works well in the mix. That tone knob that allows to get the OC-2 vibe or to blend in a more gritty texture is very cool. My problem is Tim Tuning. Yes it's very cool to get a juice in the subs but when using live through a PA, I've found it to overwhelmed the room. That extra low has really ticked off some soundmen and drew some looks. It's a bummer because I really do love this pedal and the form factor. I know the current version has the ability to switch off the Tim mode but I'll need to wait patiently for the market pricing to stabilize, if it ever does.

Sorry that was a lot. I just really like octave pedals.

AlexanderB and arepa_funk like this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Btw, the crackle sounds of the VBO mentioned in Kerem’s review were the result of an error in some part, and was fixed. MXR even offered to fix them for free even if you weren’t the original owner.