Octave pedal preference

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassplayertom77, Feb 23, 2023.

1. deepestend

deepestend Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Website and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I just got a C4 and it is hands down the best Octaver I've used. Tracks perfectly, sits in the mix well, and gives you a lot of control.

Nashrakh likes this.
  2. klattman

klattman

Jan 8, 2008
    Trex quint is the best I’ve tried but I haven’t tried many.

mare there any others out there that will also provide the fifth?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Yes.

odarellmc likes this.
  4. odarellmc

odarellmc

Jul 8, 2012
    Chicago
    Thanks for sharing. No the level it kind of low, kind of a bummer. I was expecting you to say you had a hard time finding a good setting. I have the micro Tron and the phasor. Absolutely great but finding the right setting is a challenge but once you find it gold! Its different for each bass. You're so right really listening to these pedal in a band setting is key. A lot of bedroom players here...

Jakeman likes this.
  5. klattman

klattman

Jan 8, 2008
    Got to try an mxr poly blue octave. It has a wide range of sounds and is easy to dial in. I understand the fuzz but while it’s intentionally brash, I wish it could be controlled/dialed back a bit.

mono and poly modes are very different. This pedal can do a lot.

The phaser and Leslie effect are very nicely done and can also be used without any octaves on.

I was very surprised that it effortlessly tracks me playing my mwah set up fretless all the way down to drop D. It also tracks slides. I’m impressed.

Maxi Funkl and Zarcsby like this.
  6. Bass Mark

Bass Mark

Feb 28, 2023
    Thanks! I used this Octave Pedal comparison when I recently got my first octave pedal. Ended up going with MXR M288 based on your recommendation. I use the Growl knob more than the Girth knob. Sounds more pleasing to my ear.

Kerem Koseoglu likes this.
  7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I have the MXR BOD currently but am tempted to try the Markbass Raw Series Octaver. I love the simple layout the MB has over the MXR but am I overthinking it? If I just use the Dry and Growl on the MXR BOD will it basically give me the same thing, or very similar? I'm guessing it will based on comparisons between the MB and OC2 or MXR VBO I've seen.

8. No idea.

I had a MXR BOD years ago, I liked it but at the time I felt the MarkBass was better for what I wanted, but just a matter of preference. By the way, the one I've got isn't the Raw Series, but the older bigger yellow one:

[​IMG]

AlexanderB and the low one like this.
  9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Around
    I'm building one of those right now. It is definitely not a beginner project but it's coming together nicely.

Really excited to fire it up!

10. Hasty

Hasty Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Endorsing Artist: Remic Microphones
    It's definitely not for the faint of heard. Not that it's terribly difficult, but there is just so much soldering. However it's my favorite and it sounds so good.

Here's how mine ended up. It was one of my early efforts with waterslide decals and clear coat. It's held up pretty well.

Gig Box Board.jpg

bass-shy and arepa_funk like this.
  11. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Around
    That looks terrific! Mine is just going to get sprayed and labeled with stick on letters. Not nearly as pro as yours.

The build is not terrible, it is just made worse because of those tiny, 1/8 watt resistors. There are so many of them!

Also, the screen printing on my board is smeared so I'm having to go back and forth between the board and the pictures to make sure everything ends up in the right place. That eats up a lot of time.

I think this is my 35th build on a BYOC board and I've never seen that before.

12. MrClassicMetal

MrClassicMetal

Feb 3, 2022
    After watching Jonathan Herrera's review....

...I ordered a Boss OC-5 and it was delivered yesterday. Personally I like it better than the TC Electronic Sub N Up and the EBS Octabass. It tracks really well, sounds great, and it's currently cheaper than the MXR models and the EBS. And compared to the TC Electronic the sound is less muddy.

13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Definitely. Kicked my OC-5 off my board... just two months after I bought one new. :rolleyes:

That said, Octavers in general are just so addictive. Whenever I switch them off, I immediately miss something. That's why I jokingly say that I play 'tenor' in one band I'm in, because most of the time I'm way up the neck, with an octave down +dry effect going on. Slap some light drive on top of it, and you may never want to go back to your dry tone.

On top of that, there's something to be said about the way octavers make you play differently. They open up a whole new world of bass playing.

deepestend and mcnach like this.