Octave pedal setting

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sk8boarder317, Mar 9, 2003.

1. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I just recently got an octave pedal (boss Octave oc-2 to be exact) and it has a two octave settin O2 and O1 ...i can't find a good setting that sounds good ...maybe somebody can help
  2. Hey there,

Do a search for a thread named..."just ordered a Boss OC2".

It should help you out.

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Put a bit of compression in front of it, it works wonders.
  4. I like to very small amounts of octave. When I used the OC2 for some recording in the past, I set the oc1 and oc2 dials to about 9:00, or where the effect is very very subtle. Also, if you're playing notes below a C on the A string, the octave pedal starts to sound bad simply because the notes an octave below (or 2 octaves below) that are too darn low.
  5. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I usually have mine set with the dry volume full on, the first octave down at 11 o'clock, and the second octave down full off. It adds just the right amount of beef without breaking up.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It depends on the sound that you're trying to get. I use a medium amount of octave effect just to get some ballsey semi-synth sounding effect when I play finger style or slap; settings: octave about 10 o'clock, direct level 3 o'clock, and octave 2 off.

If you want even more of a keyboard synth bass sound, try the octave 1 at about 2-3 oclock, direct level at anywhere from 12 o'clock to off, and octave 2 off. Then you'll have to play in the upper registers of the fretboard to get the desired sound. If you play below the 5th - 7th fret it might be too muddy especially on the E and A strings. you'll have to experiment because the sounds vary depending on the type of bass and your rig.

I personally have not found any practical use for the second octave for live performances. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
  7. sk8boarder317

sk8boarder317 Guest

Mar 5, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Thanks alot for ur feedback...i definetly agree that the sound is useless on the lower a string and all the e string (unless u have the settin at close to minimum) ...thanks again for your help :cool: