1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Octave Pedal that can go octaves higher and lower.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jul 19, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Well, like the thread's name says... I'm looking for a good octave pedal that can go up and down...

I was talking with someone, and they said that octave pedals don't work well with more than one note... (meaning it wouldn't work well if I used the octaves higher while playing a chord) Is that true?

2. An octave up effect is most commonly used as part of an octave fuzz.. Hendrix used it a lot, though I've never heard one used on bass. Goto www.fulltone.com and listen to the Ultimate Octave sample to get an idea of what the effect is like. Unfortunately these pedals wouldn't go an octave down.

I'm pretty sure that you could use a Digitech Whammy Pedal to harmonize (if I understand it correctly.. there is a setting to make it work like a real whammy bar would.. or to make it retain your original sound while adding another pitch) either an octave up or down. If you were looking at going this route I would say to definitely try one out first, because it might not sound that great and might not do exactly what you want... Whammy pedals aren't cheap either. Again, I don't know of any bassplayers using these.. but Tom Morello, the guitarist of Rage Against the Machine, uses a Whammy pedal quite a bit.

I think most multieffects units have octave up and octave down effects.. but all multieffects units I've tried sounded a bit thin and noisey.

Octave effects do tend to react weirdly to multiple notes.. but each pedal is different.

My advice would be to see if you can get your hands on a Digitech Whammy pedal as well as a bunch of multieffects units to try out.

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Steamboat... Not to challenge the credibility of your statement. But Hendrix is a guitar player, not a bassist. MXR is one company that makes an octave pedal for bass, boss is another.
    Both go octaves down. The problem is, they ONLY go octaves down. I want one that goes both down and up. (not at the same time, just one or the other)

I've heard what octave pedals sound like, I even have a bass octave in my Zoom 506. I just want one rather then using some retarded electronic effect.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    you could always use two octaver pedals together one down and the other up.

5. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    Try the Line 6 FM-4. Any of the synth settings have an octave up or down or in between. You can also change the waveshape of the note, and play the note with a footpedal..like the digi whammy. lottz o' fun. The pedal also has Mutrons and humanizers and all sorts of stuff I haven't even come close to figuring out since I got it six weeks ago. Plan on spending a lot of time when you demo the sucker, but it's worth it.

6. The Digitech BP-8 has the Octave up and Octave down feature, as well as, Octave down/4th down, 4th down/3rd up, 5th up/Octave up, etc...

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't need something that can go up and down at the same time. Just up or down... Names? Prices? Places to buy? Thanks.

8. Why?

I mean, If you're playing something and you want an octave effect, then just play the part at the higest octave you want to hear and a good pedal, such as the EBS, will replicate it an octave lower.

My point is, if you got an octave pedal that does both (which I haven't heard of) then you could play an E on the A string (we'll call that 'middle E') and the pedal set for an octave down would produce a Low E as well. Now, if you set the pedal for an octave higher, you'll get Middle E and a High E.

So, why not just get a conventional octave pedal and play Middle E when you want the low E octave and play High E, producing the Middle E octave, when you want the higher octave?

Mikeus likes this.
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Good point stingray, but a lot of the stuff I'd want to use it for is chords, and the majority of my chords are around the 12th fret, meaning I can't really play many octaves higher, and let it produce lower stuff...

I'd want to use it's octave lower features to thicken up a chorus, if the guitarist would be soloing or going off on a lead.

The higher features, like I said, I'd want to use on my chords. Which are generally slow and melodic, I figure adding octaves higher would only make them more melodic sounding. (mind you, I'm not speaking in technical terms when I say melodic)

10. I see what you're saying. Problem is, I don't think there's a pedal out there that does that. And even if there is, playing sustained chords will never work. The pedal would have too much trouble tracking 2 notes at the same time and maintaining the octave due to decay of the note. You'd end up with a muddy mess (glitchy garbage, I believe BP called it once).

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Ok... then forget that one... What're some good octave pedals period?

I could still use octaves lower than for choruses when the guitar's doing a lead, or solo.

Any ideas of good octave Pedals? I know EBS makes one, same with MXR... What're some others?

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The pedal won't be able to track anything lower than your open A string (and even that will take forever), and anything lower than that could be harmful to your amp, if it can even track it. What's the point?

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Angus, from what I understand, different octave pedals can go different depths as far as how low they can go. An octave pedal's an effect, same as a distortion, the point is to alter the sound of my bass. ;)

14. I highly recommend the EBS Octabass. It has 1 octave lower, and 2 knobs. 1 for your actual signal level, and 1 for the octave signal level. Very easy to use. I usually have my signal level set to full and just blend in the amount of octave I want. It's pefect for filling up the bottom during guitar solos...

Easy to use, excellent tracking. I can sustain a note for a good 8-10 seconds without it breaking up. Compare that to about 2-3 seconds sustain on the Boss before all hell breaks loose! ;)

It's the only effect I use. :)

15. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Sounds good... It's the only effect I actually like... I have one in my Zoom 506, but a digital effect doesn't begin to compare to an analog.

What about the MXR?

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Crawling Eye, with an effect that goes lower, likely you'll be playing some notes that are sub-low E...isn't that somewhat hypocritical considering you absolutely abhor anything lower than E?

It's pretty obvious I'm not an effects person, but I'm just curious if you've suddenly changed your opinion about low notes.

I do agree with the EBS suggestion, however. I'ts the only octave I've ever tried that worked very well...but i still don't like it!

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Angus, you don't realize the usage of the octave pedal in my situation.

It'd be when the guitar cuts out to do a lead or a solo, so it won't be noticiable. And I hate overdrives and distortions for bass, so I wanna use an octave pedal. I don't like anything more than a 4 string bass generally, unless it has a high c on it, because I don't find a point to having the extra string, and wider neck. This is one of the reasons you don't need one, there's octave pedals.
    I don't think there's a point in you arguing me getting one...

It's not like I intend on using it exclusively, just that I think it'd work well in certain spots, and is the only effect I really like.

18. CrawlingEye, one of my best friends owns the MXR Octave pedal. It's a pretty nice pedal, I'll give ya that. The "dry" knob that is on there adds a nice cool sound the amp, I like it alot. You can even turn the octave all the down (as in having no octave at all) and use the "dry" effect on its own and it sounds pretty cool. I haven't fiddled with it too much to give a full report. But it is definatly worth testing out.

19. I have a Zoom BFX_708 and the thing is amazing. I am fairly certain that you can go octaves down and up and this thing has a total of 60 effects all user editable (thats a word?) and a drum machine all for $120.00 U.S. @ Sam Ash. You also have 4 Amp simulators which make almost any amp sound good. This pedal will pretty much do everything you could ever want a pedal to do. Check it out! It also handles more then 2 notes without lag.

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I have a Zoom 506, I'm not very fond of digital effects. Although, I do like what the octave pedal does.

I just want an analog octave pedal, and I'll be set as far as effects go.