1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Octave pedal to produce octave above?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bubba Love, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Sorry if this is an FAQ, but how many pedals are there out there that produce a note above the note you're playing? The offerings from Boss, EBS et al are all octave down only. The EHX POG looks like a good offering but seems a little pricey for what I want to do. Anything else in this market?

2. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Digitech Whammy does that and then some fun extras. But it's $200.

3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Electro-Harmonix Micro POG, POG, and HOG.

4. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder

Sep 24, 2006
    Singapore
    Akai Unibass

5. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    There are a lot of upper-octave distortions; you might want to look at the Foxrox Octron. It's not really a distortion, per se, but it is distortion-based.

If you're looking for clean, I think you'll have to choose from the pricey options listed above. :(

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    For clean octave-up, it doesn't get any cheaper than the EHX Micro POG ($209 USD new). But it's worth it. :)

7. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Except for the aforementioned $200 Whammy IV.

OP, look for used equipment or figure out how to haggle if money's an issue -- I got GC down to $80 on a used whammy.

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The EHX Bass Micro Synth does an octave up, among several other neat tricks. Proper tone-sucker when it's off though, so factor in more money for a bypass loop box to isolate the stupid thing.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    From the tracks I've heard of the newer $200 Whammy, it doesn't seem to track as well as the POG, HOG, etc. I just received a Micro POG yesterday and put it through its paces last night, and it tracks both single notes and chords extremely well. Got it for $170 used.